• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Telkom still offers Wimax

According to a service call center lady, there's not enough DSLAM ports in my area so I have to wait till 12 Nov 2012.... what a joke. So I jabbed at her and said "Telkom Wimax still available?" :eek: She said yes. It's R299 (used to be R240 back when I got it) and still 512kbps, but who cares, can dialup with my own ADSL account and no mandatory line fee? Awesomeness...

Apparently I have to go to my closest Telkom Direct shop to order this

Whaat? You can use your own ISP?
Why have I not been told about this :mad:
Yea dude, but I've confirmed with several people now that this support agent didn't know her ass from her elbow.

Telkom Wimax (when you were still able to get it) was a last mile ADSL solution, so you could dialup with your own ISP accounts much like you can with ADSL (except you had to dial up, there was no router who'd do it automatically)

It worked beautifully (my cousin still has it, still awesome). ADSL-speed pings on a wireless network as if you had ADSL.

@AcidRazor, did you manage to get your WiMax installed? I'm getting very conflicting stories from Telkom people. A contact said I should go to a Telkom shop to order it, the lady at the shop said no dice. I can't get a normal ADSL line due to the absence of Telkom infrastructure.

@AcidRazor, did you manage to get your WiMax installed? I'm getting very conflicting stories from Telkom people. A contact said I should go to a Telkom shop to order it, the lady at the shop said no dice. I can't get a normal ADSL line due to the absence of Telkom infrastructure.
Based on what I've heard I seriously doubt that you will be provided with a WiMax service.