Terabit DSL could be with us soon

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Cioffi said high-frequency sub-millimetre waves can increase single-line data rates to terabits per second at 100 metre lengths on ordinary twisted pair phone wire.

“Speeds of 100 Gigabits/second can be achieved at distances over 300 metres, and speeds of 10 Gigabits/second can be achieved at distances over 500 metres,” said Cioffi.
And that range makes it useless to most of us. I also wonder at what the supporting equipment will cost.
The above is also if the copper quality is excellent, Telkom hasn't done much maintenance in regards to copper. Probably the same story as G.Fast

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't even have VDSL yet... by the time Terabit DSL is a reality in this world I will beg Telkom to give me a stable 20mbps DSL connection.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
lol. Just imagine. I am like 100M away from the exchange at my place. I would be able to download the entire internet.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
In South Africa? I doubt it...

Telkom couldn't even repair my normal ADSL for 4 months...
I eventually ended up cancelling the line.

Vio

Expert Member
Just look at what they are saying about loop length... our avg loop length is 1-2km...

aybbleek

Expert Member
I would just gooi a Cat6 at those distances. Who needs a phone line anyway?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I would just gooi a Cat6 at those distances. Who needs a phone line anyway?
Isn't the spec 1Gbps up to 100 meters, 10Gbps up to 55 meters? I'd be worried about cross-talk unless you use 6A (though I am not sure as I haven't seen ~20 Cat6 cables bundled over 50+ meters in the real world as you'd need to do if you wanted to roll out to peoples' houses).
Also, the costs would be huge.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This is like strapping a rocket to a horse cart, yes it would go fast, but why the Hell would you want to?

ingeon

And that range makes it useless to most of us. I also wonder at what the supporting equipment will cost.
The above is also if the copper quality is excellent, Telkom hasn't done much maintenance in regards to copper. Probably the same story as G.Fast
And by that time they stole the copper and sold it for scrap.
I can smell the burning of copper a mile away as it is done all over in daylight.