Teraco secures R2.5 billion to construct Africa's largest data centre

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Teraco secures R2.5 billion to construct Africa's largest data centre

Teraco has secured R2.5 billion in financing for the construction of its new 38MW data centre in Ekurhuleni, South Africa.

The facility is called JB4 and will be the largest data centre in Africa once it is built.

The company said these funds will be used together with its own money to finance the building of the facility.

quovadis

Executive Member
Anyone know whereabouts this one is going to be/is being built?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Anyone know whereabouts this one is going to be/is being built?
Close to the facility in Pomona. Oh, I see Teraco call the Pomona one JB2/Bredell. I know the area as Pomona.

• Strategically located in Ekurhuleni, East of Johannesburg, alongside the R21 business corridor, the facility will have multiple fibre paths to the Teraco Isando Campus connectivity hub (JB1 and JB3) located some 20 kilometres away.

Greglsh

Is Teraco a listed company? I would love to buy shares in this company.

eg2505

Honorary Master
one in Isando is getting larger and larger every-time I drive past it,

always wondered why its there, thought building a data center in a city centre is a better idea.

almost like the US that has this monstrosity in Manhattan.

eg2505

Honorary Master
also great place to hide surveillance and spying infrastructure for internet monitoring.
sure the Chinese already have their eyes on it.

quovadis

Executive Member
always wondered why its there, thought building a data center in a city centre is a better idea
Power/Security/Ease of Access/Convenience/Cost of Land/Constant Infrastructure changes are all considerations I suppose. A millisecond or two won't make much of a difference unless you're the JSE.

rustypup

Expert Member
always wondered why its there
Africa vs power...

They needed zoned land with expansion possibility and they actually paid for the substation, then gifted it to the municipality, to secure supply.

Awesome engineering project and still my best racking experience. At least in the beginning. Access has become a pain with current restrictions.