TFSA + mutual funds/unit trusts

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I noticed Nedbank's TFSA investment account does not have ETFs, but instead have a bunch of their own unit trusts (?).

For professional reasons, I'm not allowed to buy securities, so that rules out ETFs. This make mutual funds/unit trusts my only TFSA investment option.

Anyone know if there are more TFSA providers offering this? Preferably funds that track the same indexes as the major ETFs?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Satrix has a few index UTs. There are others too that I cannot recall at this time, maybe Sygnia.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
For professional reasons, I'm not allowed to buy securities, so that rules out ETFs.
You sure? I've been under embargoes before but never affected me being able to buy ETFs.

Anyway, CoreShares have a lot of their ETFs as unit trusts as well (actually the other way around).

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Satrix has a few index UTs. There are others too that I cannot recall at this time, maybe Sygnia.
Aah thanks, I didn't know they can go in an TFSA. They certainly have what I'm looking for. I found most of the old asset management companies (old mutual, etc) offer this but with absurd fees.

You sure? I've been under embargoes before but never affected me being able to buy ETFs.
Unfortunately, yes. There's a whitelist of ETFs I can buy but it's very US centric and doesn't include anything in SA.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Unfortunately, yes. There's a whitelist of ETFs I can buy but it's very US centric and doesn't include anything in SA.
Some would say that's a non-issue :p

ASHGEQ, STXWDM or even IVV just makes more sense to me in this economy. Butto each their own.

More interestingly though: what type of work or for whom do you work that you have restrictions like this? Auditing firm?

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Some would say that's a non-issue :p
Depends on your objectives, I suppose. For the TFSA I'm mostly concerned with being able to max out the contributions for the next 15 years and putting it in something better than a 60 month fixed deposit.

ASHGEQ, STXWDM or even IVV just makes more sense to me in this economy. Butto each their own.
From where I am, the problem with US domiciled funds is the IRS takes their cut and they don't really care that I'm neither an American tax payer, citizen or resident. There are other options though. ASHGEQ or something similar is what I'm after, maybe with a 50/50 split with some local stuff. SA is a buyer's market right now :)

More interestingly though: what type of work or for whom do you work that you have restrictions like this? Auditing firm?
Can't say who, but it's intvestment bank/IPO related, so there are insider trading concerns. Not that I agree, but I've lost that battle. Gotta make do until I can find something better.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I use my TFSA for world / US stuff. I think it's great for that. I am one of the some :D
Apart from my pension and RA, I only have CSPROP in SA if you don't count the Rhodium ETF.

He's right though, SA equities is a buyer's market just like property is. If it does eventually swing we're in for big gains. But that's quite a big if at the moment for me.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
He's right though, SA equities is a buyer's market just like
property is. If it does eventually swing we're in for big gains. But that's quite a big if at the moment for me.
For me the R2750/m is a small enough bet. I should probably mention that I don't currently live in SA. Most of my savings go into FTSE all world (similar in scope to ASHGEQ) and S&P500.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
One more question on this: anyone know where I can find historical unit prices and distributions? For some I can look at the ETF for a rough idea, but for some funds the ETF and unit trust actually track different indexes (e.g. the property fund).

zerocool2009

Expert Member
One more question on this: anyone know where I can find historical unit prices and distributions? For some I can look at the ETF for a rough idea, but for some funds the ETF and unit trust actually track different indexes (e.g. the property fund).
All funds including EFT's have fact sheets. On there mostly 3 years of stats per month and distributions mentioned, or just google the fund

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Their fact sheets don't have the price, or anything more than the last two distributions. Hence the question.