The data roaming charge conundrum

Tommygun

Im with Allin. If people didnt use the service maybe the cell companies would think of dropping the charges. Theres always a coffeeshop with wireless for a few MBs or a local pay as u go phone card.

shaunl

This problem has been around for ages - nothing new and nothing changed unfortunately.
I would rather see a push to lower local data/call rates to before I loose sleep over roaming charges

Travel internationally a fair amount options are - turn off data (iPhones in particular), turn off voice mail and get a local sim in the country you traveling.

jetlee

Fail to see how it can be a problem, just DON'T DO IT!!

When you stuck on a train in China, and need a quick google translate, Just dont do it is not an option ... Its basically extortion.. you have no alternative, everyone does it, so they charge the earth ... when travelling to Europe or the States .. for sure, you mostly get wifi, but trying to hop onto every wireless hotspot while moving around is ridiculous, when all you want is your email to come through or your skype im's to come through. The model is flawed, and needs o be modernized. There are millions of people travelling to some seriously remote places where wifi is not an option .. providers just need to stop RIPPING people off for roaming .. simple as that ..

It should basically just get capped at whatever the price is for "pay as you go" type data contracts in whatever country you are in .. simple solution, simple implementation ..

jetlee

This problem has been around for ages - nothing new and nothing changed unfortunately.
I would rather see a push to lower local data/call rates to before I loose sleep over roaming charges

Travel internationally a fair amount options are - turn off data (iPhones in particular), turn off voice mail and get a local sim in the country you traveling.

You ever try to buy a sim in another country .. Rica is international .. not just South African

Jola

Honorary Master
You ever try to buy a sim in another country .. Rica is international .. not just South African

Bought cheap sim cards in USA, Oz, and NZ during 2011 - no problems !

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Could not buy a SIM in India without a passport and proof of residence.