The difference between DStv HD and Netflix HD

sybawoods

Expert Member
Hmm, I think this is a non issue. My understanding is that DSTV's HD standard was 720p, but that we could switch to 1080i on the decoder. I've certainly not noticed any difference in picture quality. The big jump will be to 4K.

Not all SS channels were broadcasting in HD, which they now are. This is probably the story. The 1080i part is noise. Had it been 1080p, there would have been some merit to drawing attention to the resolution.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
So subscribers need to start saving for:
  • Buying a 4K decoder;
  • Buying a new LNB;
  • Buying a bigger dish (probably);
  • Paying R60/month 4K access fee (probably).
or, if it is a streaming-only service:
  • Buy a 4K decoder;
  • Buy a Fibre/LTE service with sufficient data;
  • Paying R60/month 4K access fee (probably).

Joseph matane

So is there any difference between 1080i and 1080p in terms of data usage if you stream OTT ? Just for clarity do DStv now really offer 1080p or is just 1080i I noticed DStv claim is 1080p but I don't trust DStv

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
So is there any difference between 1080i and 1080p in terms of data usage if you stream OTT ? Just for clarity do DStv now really offer 1080p or is just 1080i I noticed DStv claim is 1080p but I don't trust DStv
Read the article.

Eat my shorts

Interlaced also means the broadcast is doubling up on pixcels to fill the screen hence a lower quality, basically DSTV is upscale 720p to 1080i,

It never has and never will be true native 1080p,

I bet even there "4K" test was 1080i upscaled to 4k.....

There far behind Netflix but 8x the price

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Yeah Monochoice, just keep on doing everything on the cheap and extorting everyone. That's your style but don't cry when you find yourself out of business. Nobody cares.

system32

Expert Member
Hmm, I think this is a non issue. My understanding is that DSTV's HD standard was 720p, but that we could switch to 1080i on the decoder. I've certainly not noticed any difference in picture quality. The big jump will be to 4K.

Not all SS channels were broadcasting in HD, which they now are. This is probably the story. The 1080i part is noise. Had it been 1080p, there would have been some merit to drawing attention to the resolution.
I wouldn't call it a non issue.
1080p and 1080i are visually different in fast action scenes.
Most people can see it when pointed out.
Your eyes must be poor if you can't see it or see the difference.

"Due to the fidelity and fully-displayed frames, a 1080p video delivers a sharper and more refined image which can provide better quality during scenes with lots of motion.

Interlaced video suffers in scenes with lots of motion, as it only displays half an image at a single point in time. This makes it difficult to display fast movement.

Compared to progressive scan, interlaced video has more jagged edges and motion artifacts
"
Deinterlaced-car-wheel.jpg
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/204624-the-difference-between-1080p-and-1080i.html

Johand

Expert Member
An aspect which is harder to measure is compression quality. Even if they hit 1080 resolution doesn't mean their quality is on par with Netflix...

Genghis Khan

Finally, someone who understands how this whole thing works. Presently, no provider like Sky, BBC, Netflix, etc... can transmit even at a true 1080p due to the high bandwith required for lesser compression.

To put this into perspective using 4K as an example, Netflix's compression quality results in a maximum bandwith of around 15mbs. If you had to physically play the 4K blu-ray, you would get compression quality of more than 50mbs

An aspect which is harder to measure is compression quality. Even if they hit 1080 resolution doesn't mean their quality is on par with Netflix...

whatwhat

Executive Member
Finally, someone who understands how this whole thing works. Presently, no provider like Sky, BBC, Netflix, etc... can transmit even at a true 1080p due to the high bandwith required for lesser compression.

To put this into perspective using 4K as an example, Netflix's compression quality results in a maximum bandwith of around 15mbs. If you had to physically play the 4K blu-ray, you would get compression quality of more than 50mbs
Compression algorithms like H.265 HEVC allows really good compression with almost unnoticeable loss of image quality.

Sure raw Mbps still wins but then you are pixel peeping.

H.266 which is being drafted at the moment targets a further 50% or so bandwidth saving over H.265
New standard will be finalized over the next 2-3 years.

Budza

Executive Member
Compression algorithms like H.265 HEVC allows really good compression with almost unnoticeable loss of image quality.

Sure raw Mbps still wins but then you are pixel peeping.

H.266 which is being drafted at the moment targets a further 50% or so bandwidth saving over H.265
New standard will be finalized over the next 2-3 years.
Eish- my hardware can't do x265.

I take it x266 can only be more demanding??

sybawoods

Expert Member
I wouldn't call it a non issue.
1080p and 1080i are visually different in fast action scenes.
Most people can see it when pointed out.
Your eyes must be poor if you can't see it or see the difference.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/204624-the-difference-between-1080p-and-1080i.html
That's my point. It would have been story if it was being upgraded to 1080p.

The difference between 720p vs 1080i is marginal, whereas a switch from either format to 1080p would have been a story.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Now just cut premium in half.
The best case scenario is we eventually get a standalone DStv Now Premium type streaming service for around half the cost of the equivalent satellite service. So around R500pm.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Eish- my hardware can't do x265.

I take it x266 can only be more demanding??
Anything *after* Skylake (Intel 6th Gen) has built in hardware decoding for x265 10bit.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3113457/components-processors/intels-kaby-lake-chip-is-a-must-have-for-4k-video-fiends.html

"Skylake accelerated 1080p HEVC encoding and decoding natively in hardware, but it lacked dedicated support for 4K HEVC encoding/decoding at 10-bit depths, or VP9 decoding—two things that Kaby Lake does natively in hardware."

Most media players like the Mibox also have hardware decoding for x265 10bit built in.

If you get new hardware anytime soon you should be sorted.

X264 was around for so long, I doubt x265 will be replaced that quickly?

Visser

Expert Member
All of these differences nobody will ever see or notice while watching a movie, let alone sport. Its all a marketing ploy to get more of your money.