The Nissan GT-R Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
A MY 2017 update for the original supercar slayer

"Nissan unveiled the new 2017 GT-R at the 2016 New York International Auto Show, highlighted by a fresh look inside and out, as well as major driving performance enhancements and key new features. All told, this is the most significant change to Nissan's flagship super sports car since it was introduced in 2007.

The 2017 GT-R's exterior receives a thorough makeover. The new "V-motion" grille, one of Nissan's latest design signatures, has been slightly enlarged to provide better engine cooling and now features a matte chrome finish and an updated mesh pattern. A new hood, featuring pronounced character lines flowing flawlessly from the grille, has been reinforced to enhance stability during high-speed driving. A freshly designed front spoiler lip and front bumpers with finishers situated immediately below the headlamps give the new GT-R the look of a pure-bred racecar, while generating high levels of front downforce.

The Nissan GT-R's familiar wind-cutting shape defines its profile, but the side sills have been pushed out to direct air flow around the vehicle. Styling and air flow enhancements continue in the rear, where GT-R's hallmark four-ring taillights are paired with new rear bodywork, along with functional side air vents next to the quad exhaust tips. The beltline between the lower black section and the body panel has been heightened to make the car look wider and more aggressive from the rear.

These exterior changes result in a sportier and sharper looking car - as well as an aerodynamically efficient one with more stability at high speeds, while keeping a 0.26 drag coefficient.

In the cabin is a redesigned, premium interior befitting a high-performance super sports car. The entire dashboard is new, including an instrument panel wrapped in a single, seamless piece of hand-selected Nappa leather artfully stitched with Takumi-style precision. The shape of the dashboard adopts a "horizontal flow" to deliver a sense of high stability for front seat occupants, while the line from the instrument cluster to the center console provides a distinct driver-oriented environment for the driver. The cushion layer of the instrument panel leather has been updated with a new, thinner material to reduce weight, and the front seats themselves are also lighter, thanks to a new side-support construction method that provides greater comfort and support on long drives.

The center dashboard layout is improved and simplified. Integrated navigation and audio controls reduce the number of switches from 27 in the previous car to just 11 in the 2017 model. An 8-inch capacitive touch-panel monitor replaces the 7-inch one and now features large icons on the display screen, while a new Display Command control on the carbon-fiber center console also allows easy operation.

The shift paddles are now mounted to the new steering wheel, allowing drivers to change gears in mid-turn without having to take their hands off the wheel. The paddles, paired with reengineered ventilator controls, feature improved feel and sound when engaged or adjusted.

"As the icon of Nissan's driving performance, the GT-R continues to evolve. With the signature V-motion grille, the GT-R now possesses the latest Nissan design language. Its exceptional aerodynamic performance and upgraded interior have given the GT-R a more mature character, which will continue into the future," said Mamoru Aoki, executive design director, Global Design Center, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

The Nissan GT-R's award-winning 3.8-liter V6 24-valve twin-turbocharged engine - each unit handcrafted by its own Takumi technician - now delivers 565 horsepower at 6800 rpm and 467 lb-ft of torque, representing an increase of 20 HP and 4 lb-ft, respectively, from last year's model."

http://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2017-gt-r/

420kw & 633nm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745066.463338.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745079.530938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745093.081860.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745103.900003.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745114.227547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745126.178116.jpg

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... this is the first toy I buy if I happen to fall into some huge amount of spending money

all those years wasted dreaming of Lambo's and Ferrari's, took only one supercar track day to see the light and the way :love:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
^As you can see the interior has been greatly improved

Old School:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745699.670491.jpg

New School:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745718.369720.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745730.591725.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745743.594437.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745875.339017.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458745886.803817.jpg

Last edited:

kripstoe

Expert Member
Probably a brilliant car. Yet, I've never dreamn about owning one.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I was in the Weskus the other day. Did not know what was up, but many sports cars passed my way. I think there was about 3 or more GT-Rs on the road, many exclusive Porches, Ferraris and others. I must say, the GT-R is a big car in comparison. Those grunts, yoh!

Dolby

Honorary Master
all those years wasted dreaming of Lambo's and Ferrari's, took only one supercar track day to see the light and the way :love:
The thing is the Porsche / Lambo / Ferrari will probably get 0-100 3 sec ...every time ... with a 0.1 sec variance ... no breaking ... no voiding warranty ... no rattling.

This? I'm not so sure ...

EDIT : Wondering if this is actually faster the Porsche Turbo S for once?

Last edited:

Type RSA

Expert Member
Love it! Not too keen on the interior colour though. But I am sure this can be fixed. :)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The thing is the Porsche / Lambo / Ferrari will probably get 0-100 3 sec ...every time ... with a 0.1 sec variance ... no breaking ... no voiding warranty ... no rattling.

I know that the GT-R NISMO is an incredible car, the NISMO they used to set the Nürburgring record had another package which can be purchased today named the NISMO A-Attack which is street legal.

The Nissan GT and Nissan GT-R are doing very well in motorsport.

Looking at the Nürburgring lap records,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

The GT-R NISMO (ahem, A-Attack) is placed 5th, GT-R (2012) is placed 13th, GT-R (2011) is placed 19th, GT-R (2009) is placed 26th, all the GT-Rs are stock and the NISMO is street legal and available to purchase. There are other lap times as well…

In my opinion the GT-R build quality is up there with the other Japanese exclusives like the Lexus LFA.

Here is a 2014 comparison, the NISMO was released in 2015 iirc.

[video=youtube;cwzwH_FWxkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwzwH_FWxkk[/video]

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

I've yet to drive a Porsche of any respectable description, but spent a whole day on track:

- Ferrari 458 first got stuck in full auto mode, some solenoid problem, then overheated and got towed away in shame

- Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder had a single clutch E-Gear system, compared to a proper dual clutch system such as the GTR's you can literally count the half second the Lambo takes extra every time you want to change gears

- Audi R8 (the V8 version) had the same affliction as the Lambo, only much worse, touch the gear paddle mid-corner and feel it buck like a damn bronco

- Nissan GTR over 8 pretty hard laps in my hands, and it was pretty popular so was running the whole day on track, had flawless execution and reliability, it was by far the fastest car on track, changes gear like an arcade game, oh and it didn't have any rattles whatsoever, hell the Audi had more rattles

Overall one GTR to the next might have that 0.1 sec variance, but it has plenty of tenths over all those cars at less than half the price of any of them. I wouldn't hesitate in buying one over them if I had that kind of money, Porsche is the only one I still desperately want to drive to compare, I suspect it will be a close call either way.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Overall one GTR to the next might have that 0.1 sec variance
No, the Porsche has the low variance. It just goes and goes and goes .... nothing gives way or overheats. You'll get 2.9 seconds on the 1st go or the 50th go. Check this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

Nissan started their first batch of GTRs that claimed they could get 2.9 seconds ... and they were so far ahead of the Porsche. But maybe a 2.9 ... 2.9 .... 3.0 .... 3.1 .... overheat ..... 3.0 ..... BREAK! Read up how many guys had massive bills as Nissan refused to pay ... and then subsequently remove the launch feature.

all those cars at less than half the price of any of them
It shows.

Check the video posted above and see how much quicker the Turbo S actually was last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENIo_RnFp_g <<<< Here's the Black Edition trying (7m 30 sec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agq4je0XICA <<<< Here's another ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuI2R6mQ8w <<<< and another ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7838mayOVjA <<< and another ...

It's not a bad car, but it's pretty much always behind the Porsche in stock form. And you can drive the Porsche over and over and over without an issue. Perhaps that's the price difference ;)

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
It's not a bad car, but it's pretty much always behind the Porsche in stock form. And you can drive the Porsche over and over and over without an issue. Perhaps that's the price difference ;)
As I said I'll gladly drive a Porsche to compare still, I'm sure it will be awesome ... you offering? :p

As for Audi supercars, no thanks. Ferrari and Lambo, no thanks to anything that isn't their crazy hypercar flagship models.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yea I know you never listed Porsche in the original post - I just added ;) I'm not sure about the Lambo or Ferrari myself, but I can assure you the Porsche Turbo S is a monster.

Check this on the first GTRs that people raved about :

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

When Nissan released its GT-R, buyers soon discovered that using the vehicle's launch-control feature led to a blown transmission and voided warranty. One owner started a class-action lawsuit and prevailed, but the rest may get screwed. Here's the official settlement.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I know it can go both ways. In this context to me it's highly tuned; track ready. Ie. Great sounding
Sounds like the car I wish to see once going through Sandton and pray to God it is not my neighbour.