The Official Biltong Enthusiasts Thread

S1lv3r H4wK

Herewith I would like to celebrate one of our national heritage pastimes.

A thread for advice recipies and biltong drier schematics!

I Would like to ask a mod to please officiate us with a sticky!

Please follow us as I will soon post some pics of my personal biltong drier.

The word biltong is from the Dutch bil ("rump") and tong ("strip" or "tongue")

Recipies

Biltong & Beer Bread

NOTE I personally found the Thyme extremely overpowering and reduced it to 10ml. Awesome with a Saturday Braai & some Klippes

What you need Guide

1.Tutorial Video
A home video of a South African making his own biltong down under.
I linked this because this is the video that helped me out most when I started. It is still a basic video and please ask if you need further advice.[video=youtube;sopv3YHrgiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopv3YHrgiQ[/video]

2.A Drier
Mellerware Biltong Maker Review Just a quick review of the most popular & easiest option for our biltong fanatics!

{Edit}Will finish guide as I have some spare time.

Attachments

Last edited:

S1lv3r H4wK

As I said a bit earlier in this thread, I really don't like the taste of Crown's Safari spice. YMMV...
The spice is just used as a "base" you can tweak the ingredients to suit your taste. Freddy Hirch also has a biltong spice availible.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
The spice is just used as a "base" you can tweak the ingredients to suit your taste. Freddy Hirch also has a biltong spice availible.
As I said in the same post I was referring to, it's really much easier to buy my butcher's spice mix...

S1lv3r H4wK

As I said in the same post I was referring to, it's really much easier to buy my butcher's spice mix...
That is a safe option as your local butcher would have perfected his mix over time.NOTE that your local butcher also will most likely charge you quite a bit extra and also use a base spices with his added extras.

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
I prefer topside over rump steak for biltong. Just get your butcher to cut it for you into biltong lengths as the topside they typically sell to the public is far too small to butcher into nice, long pieces of biltong...

Last edited:

S1lv3r H4wK

I prefer topside over rump steak for biltong. Just get your butcher to cut it for you into biltong lengths as the topside they typically sell to the public far too small to butcher into nice, long pieces of biltong...
Yes in our country the preferred meat would be either topside or silverside dependent on availability and price but produce a near identical final product.

I prefer topside over rump steak for biltong. Just get your butcher to cut it for you into biltong lengths as the topside they typically sell to the public is far too small to butcher into nice, long pieces of biltong...
I use silverside that people use to make roast. Yes the are smaller, but that kinda works in the Mellerware dryer.

Only problem is, I struggle to find nice fatty pieces.

S1lv3r H4wK

Fanie Het jy al chilli bites probeer maak? Hulls droog in omtrent 2 daw en verdwyn vinniger as die biltong in ons Huis.

genetic

Honorary Master
thats fanie in the vid
eh?... Nee, Fanie is van Kempton af. :p

Actually, if OP focused more on the product and less on his Aussie home video, then maybe he'd have more serious traction - but it's a thread to watch non-the-less.

Last edited:
eh?... Nee, Fanie is van Kempton af. :p

Actually, if OP focused more on the product and less on his Aussie home video, then maybe he'd have more serious traction - but it's a thread to watch non-the-less.
Nou kom ons kry bietjie van jou probeerslae ook. Gee ons 'n beter videokie :D

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
I use silverside that people use to make roast. Yes the are smaller, but that kinda works in the Mellerware dryer.

Only problem is, I struggle to find nice fatty pieces.
+1. Apparently the trick is to find c-grade silverside which has nice yellow fat and not the hard white variety. So far I've heard that "the vleisbeurs" in pta has at times but it's best to phone ahead of time. I still need to find somewhere in JHB that can supply me.

+1. Apparently the trick is to find c-grade silverside which has nice yellow fat and not the hard white variety. So far I've heard that "the vleisbeurs" in pta has at times but it's best to phone ahead of time. I still need to find somewhere in JHB that can supply me.
yep me too. I'll wait till next pay day to get some bulk, but will start phoning the butcheries around my spot.