The Silver Surfer Thread (iBurst 2Mbps Modem)

thriel

I have read the following :

Iburst in australia are 2Mbps. they use a modem Terminal that ties together 2 input feeds and offers stable data downlink speeds of up to 2Mbps on the iBurst network.

2mutd.jpg

link to modem : http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/telecom/office/iburst/2mutd.html

The modem is made by Kyocera, the same company that makes modems for Iburst South Africa.

Why has Iburst South Africa not taken advantadge of this ? i am pretty sure they could with some minor adjustments implement that modem here. When i called Iburst S.A to enquire about this they had never even heard of the 2mbps modem, they didnt even know it existed...

Iburst Australia launched their 2mpbs modems in 2007 already ( article here : http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/telecom/office/iburst/news/071213.html )

so we are currently 2 years behind them in terms of network speed and our isp here has not even heard about these modems ...

Iburst is losing alot of clients to adsl, and will continue to lose market share as adsl gets cheaper and faster, surely they cant afford to let something like a faster modem slip through their fingers ?

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

DagegeN

Expert Member
This is their idea of "how to get 2Mb/s

http://www.iburst.co.za/default.aspx?link=hardware_routers

Dual WAN router
Connect your network at twice the speed! The iBurst dual WAN router allows you to connect two iBurst modems for faster browsing and greater data traffic.

Cost: R2310-00 (incl. VAT)
Device features:

Inbound and outbound load balancing for bandwidth optimisation and network resilience and auto fail-over keeps your Internet connection always online.
802.11g Wireless AP with WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK support
Supports up to 50 IPSec VPN tunnels and up to 4 PPTP VPN tunnels
SIP pass-through for Voice over IP protocol
Robust firewall security to protect office network, as well as email alert and logs of attack
DMZ support for public servers to be visible to the outside world
Easy-to-use web interface for administrators to manage network security
Please note: Costs EXCLUDE installation fee. Subscribers will be required to take out an additional iBurst contract if they wish to link two iBurst modems to the router. Subject to a 2 year carry-in warranty.

Jagtiger

Expert Member
Not only Australia got them, couple of African countries, even Azerbaijan. :eek:

Durandal

Expert Member
Yeah, upping the speed to 2MBPS would be a huge step in appeasing a lot of unhappy clients...

Durandal

Expert Member
I would be happy to just get the 1MBPS that I am paying for now....

Lol, I hear you, though I have to say that mine has been pretty good of late, bar the other evening where it just kept booting me off the internet. But I've learned not to stress at times like that, and to just log off and go to bed.

kaaskop

Expert Member
I would be happy to just get the 1MBPS that I am paying for now....

From the time i lifted my antenae about 1m (sommer met 'n besemstok) my speeds improved by 20%. I always get around 1Mbps.

theor

Lol, I hear you, though I have to say that mine has been pretty good of late, bar the other evening where it just kept booting me off the internet. But I've learned not to stress at times like that, and to just log off and go to bed.

See your also in weltevreden park... so guessing you have the same issues, slow speeds high latency and constant d/c even though I have 100% signal strength and average around 2% framerate error....

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
The 2MB/s modem has been around for quite a while. I've been using one for the last few months and it flies. Think I've posted performance results here before.

Ronald, can explain, but we've picked up a bug in the device that first had to be corrected before we can release it.

It's basically two 1Mb/s modems glued together which means the cost is pretty much double as well.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
It's basically two 1Mb/s modems glued together which means the cost is pretty much double as well.

There you go folks, the catch. If you don't mind forking out R5000 for a modem go for it, but I'm sticking with my 1Mb/s modem. I'm happy with it!

thriel

This is their idea of "how to get 2Mb/s

http://www.iburst.co.za/default.aspx?link=hardware_routers

Dual WAN router
Connect your network at twice the speed! The iBurst dual WAN router allows you to connect two iBurst modems for faster browsing and greater data traffic.

Cost: R2310-00 (incl. VAT)
Device features:

Inbound and outbound load balancing for bandwidth optimisation and network resilience and auto fail-over keeps your Internet connection always online.
802.11g Wireless AP with WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK support
Supports up to 50 IPSec VPN tunnels and up to 4 PPTP VPN tunnels
SIP pass-through for Voice over IP protocol
Robust firewall security to protect office network, as well as email alert and logs of attack
DMZ support for public servers to be visible to the outside world
Easy-to-use web interface for administrators to manage network security
Please note: Costs EXCLUDE installation fee. Subscribers will be required to take out an additional iBurst contract if they wish to link two iBurst modems to the router. Subject to a 2 year carry-in warranty.

that is different that is a router and that requires 2 iburst contracts and two iburst modems.

i am talking about 1 contract , one desktop modem , but 2mbps. that is what my thread is about, the modem is in my topic, that is what they are running over seas.

who in their right mind is going to take 2 iburst contracts ? most people are unhappy with just one.

Last edited:

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
that is different that is a router and that requires 2 iburst contracts and two iburst modems.

i am talking about 1 contract , one desktop modem , but 2mbps. that is what my thread is about, the modem is in my topic, that is what they are running over seas.

who in their right mind is going to take 2 iburst contracts ? most people are unhappy with just one.

iBurst subscribers have always been able to run two concurrent modems off one account.

I suspect this is pretty unique to iBurst.

Durandal

Expert Member
See your also in weltevreden park... so guessing you have the same issues, slow speeds high latency and constant d/c even though I have 100% signal strength and average around 2% framerate error....

Hi Theor, yeah - I have had a number of headaches in the past, trying to explain to the people at the iBurst Helpdesk that 100% signal strength does NOT equal 100% upload/download. Gave up - the MWEB techs at least understood what I was saying. Have suddenly had lots of probs past two days, being booted off the 'net, websites not opening. Dunno what's going on.

Durandal

Expert Member
The 2MB/s modem has been around for quite a while. I've been using one for the last few months and it flies. Think I've posted performance results here before.

Ronald, can explain, but we've picked up a bug in the device that first had to be corrected before we can release it.

Pwhoar! Yes, you can pretty much forget about me switching then. Bugger the software bug, Hell will freeze over before I pay double just for the 'chance' that I can get 2MBPS. If it really is - and from the picture it certainly looks that way - two modems stuck together, then it's a stupid idea that will waste everybody's time. What kind of messed up technology is that?!

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Been using the hardware with VoIP. Works like a charm because of the better uplink!

theor

Hi Theor, yeah - I have had a number of headaches in the past, trying to explain to the people at the iBurst Helpdesk that 100% signal strength does NOT equal 100% upload/download. Gave up - the MWEB techs at least understood what I was saying. Have suddenly had lots of probs past two days, being booted off the 'net, websites not opening. Dunno what's going on.

It is now 3:30 on friday morning and this is the speeds I am getting, so nothing wrong with my signal or equipment the tower here is probably so overloaded that I have to be content with dailup speeds during the day?

@iBurst can someone please investigate the situation with the weltevredenpark tower/s specifically in my case I am near 14thave/ MTN offices

thriel

Stop hijacking the thread.

the thread is about 1 modem with 2 signal inputs on 1 account resulting in 2mbps. they are using these modems on iburst internationaly.

Can anyone from iburst give us a heads up if this will be available localy at any point in time ?

Durandal

Expert Member
Are you honestly so insane as to want to buy that modem? Jannie's said it's pretty much nothing more than two modems stuck together. Surely in this day and age they can come up with a better answer than that...

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
There you go folks, the catch. If you don't mind forking out R5000 for a modem go for it, but I'm sticking with my 1Mb/s modem. I'm happy with it!

You're just happy with it, because we have no other options.

iBurst subscribers have always been able to run two concurrent modems off one account.

Wait what...? How and are you able to use an old modem with a new one and will latencies increase as well? Can always pick up one that is
being sold second hand and do this.

Hi Theor, yeah - I have had a number of headaches in the past, trying to explain to the people at the iBurst Helpdesk that 100% signal strength does NOT equal 100% upload/download.

My question is, what do you have to do to achieve 100% upload/download. :(

Last edited: