The Smoking Thread

Beachless

Executive Member
That sounds interesting, could definitely work if you can control the temperature. You might find you have the same problem people have with ceramic cookers like the Big Green Egg, they hold temperature so well that if you overshoot it, it takes a long time to come back down.
Overshooting could most certainly be a problem but I have a oven thermometer that I can put in there.

lived666

Executive Member
Randhir, Woolworths sell supoib vacuum packed oxtail. the secret is to cook it for a long, long time till it falls off the bone - 5 hours or so.
something about eating a tail just doesn't work for me, same as tongue, guts, innards.....all nopes.

Randhir

Honorary Master
I put a hot coal into a tin can which had holes punched into it. Then I put some wet wood chips on top. Doesn't produce much heat. I smoke them for a few hours and then dry them in the sun. Works nicely.
And how do you monitor the temperature? That would be cool for peppers, but I think I'd be wary of doing something like fish.

Randhir, Woolworths sell supoib vacuum packed oxtail. the secret is to cook it for a long, long time till it falls off the bone - 5 hours or so.
But I want oxtail potjie cooked by a proper Afrikaner... Preferably a farmer :p

Overshooting could most certainly be a problem but I have a oven thermometer that I can put in there.
Yeah, but make sure you start closing off the vents before you hit the temp you want, it'll keep rising for a while.

something about eating a tail just doesn't work for me, same as tongue, guts, innards.....all nopes.
I wanna try it all at least once.. Well, most things.

How did they turn out?

Do you use a rub? Basting? Mop?
They were fall-off-the-bone, which is technically classed as overcooked when it comes to BBQ. But goddam tasty.

Used the Memphis meat rub from amazingribs.com, and a BBQ sauce with some apple juice added in and reduced. I sauced them for around half an hour before pulling them off the smoker, and served with sauce. I didn't use a basting or mop for most of the cook, but I did spritz them with apple juice.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Oh, and last night I did chicken pieces. Pulled the breast off at 155F at seriouseat's recommendation. It was one of the most moist pieces of chicken breast I've ever tasted, and perfectly cooked through. Will add pics tomorrow, don't have my SD card with me at the moment.

Randhir

Honorary Master
The breast in question:

Sauced and ready for some fire:

Donezo:

Oh, and I'm considering one of these:

Basil959

Hey Randhir, where do you buy from in the midlands?... struggle to get Loin ribs... I'm in Hillcrest..

Randhir

Honorary Master
Hey Randhir, where do you buy from in the midlands?... struggle to get Loin ribs... I'm in Hillcrest..
http://www.lovinghams.co.za/delivery.html

Current pricing, could have changed maybe:
Loin ribs plain 2 racks per pack 80.00
Spare ribs plain 2 racks per pack 80.00

They deliver to me, think they come up to your side on Wednesdays. Their pork products are great, but I'm looking for even meatier ribs.

Tell her Randhir referred you, maybe she'll throw a little something my way :p

CrzWaco

Expert Member
Seeing as this is the smoking thread.

Has anyone smoked paprika or chilli peppers?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Seeing as this is the smoking thread.

Has anyone smoked paprika or chilli peppers?
I mentioned on the previous page or two, yes I have. Smoked both to make paprika powder, although it was more paprika flakes than powder! Tasted good though.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Think it sells for around $600-$700 but I snagged one for R3000.

Randhir

Honorary Master
They actually have agents in SA. You can get them here, the dude who deals with them in Durban is moving more toward marketing the Big Green Egg, so he's letting these go for around R4000. This one was further discounted because the box was damaged during transport.

Randhir

Honorary Master
ROCKWOOD LEISURE
Cell: 084 888 1172 | Tel:*+27 31 502 4043*| Fax:*+27 31 502 6790*
3A Gleneagles Park, 10 Flanders Drive, Mount Edgecombe
Postnet Suite #504, Private Bag 503, NORTHWAY, 4065

Randhir

Honorary Master
I was quite surprised, the grill was cheap here so I thought it was an inferior product. After extensive research, most people from the US, UK and Australia absolutely love them. They're a bit better than similar grill as they have the capability to go to 500F. Apparently most don't go that high.

lived666

Executive Member
I was quite surprised, the grill was cheap here so I thought it was an inferior product. After extensive research, most people from the US, UK and Australia absolutely love them. They're a bit better than similar grill as they have the capability to go to 500F. Apparently most don't go that high.

Have you used this smoker yet? I understand that it only works with a certain type of pellet, what happens if they run out?
How was the food etc etc

Randhir

Honorary Master
Have you used this smoker yet? I understand that it only works with a certain type of pellet, what happens if they run out?
How was the food etc etc
Used it twice - once on Sunday for pork sausages, were awesome.

Yesterday - made ribs. They were tasty, awesome texture etc but I made the mistake of not foiling them when the bark had caramelised enough. As a result the bark turned a bit too hard, but that's something that's easily rectified.

Will be making ribs again soon, but tonight it's smoked drumettes and pork chops.