The Smoking Thread

cerebus

Honorary Master
My office just held an epic smoked bbq yesterday from all the best smokehouses in the SF area :(

smokeyshmo

New Kid on the Block

newbie here;

Funds don't allow for a wsm or BGE, so I'm trying to smoke on my 57cm Weber.

Any tips, tricks, lessons? And where I can source wood blocks? All I can find is chips. JHB based

Thanks so much!

Randhir

Honorary Master
newbie here;

Funds don't allow for a wsm or BGE, so I'm trying to smoke on my 57cm Weber.

Any tips, tricks, lessons? And where I can source wood blocks? All I can find is chips. JHB based

Thanks so much!
Chips are fine, I've used them for 5-6 hour smokes. Go to amazingribs and read everything on there.

smokeyshmo

Thanks so much :)
amazing ribs was my first stop, along with smokeshack, smackyodaddy etc. I guess I need to experiment with different brands of charcoal, wood types and keep a journal of it.
I'll probably only be doing brisket and beef ribs as I keep kosher

maumau

Honorary Master
Jeez guys. Looked at this thread to see who smokes and it's about BRAAI!!

Panla

Guys,

Dunno if they have been mentioned here but check out www.sabbqsmokers.co.za. They build authentic smokers and aren't to pricey. Going to order myself a Smoking Barrel next month.

Panla

Yes they did round about 10k for the Barrel. In my opinion it isn't a bad price as it looks like a solid constructed smoker.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Bump for this thread. I see Megamaster has a barrel "alpha Smoker" that retails for about R7300 on takealot currently. Saw one at builders today and the build quality looks good.