The Uncapped ADSL Myth DEBUNKED!!!

Shayd

Expert Member
Alright, when MWEB launched their uncapped ADSL product, many competing ISP's responded by saying that the average usage would be too high or that this cannot work. Here are some facts to blow that BS out of the water.

The CISCO broadband survey found that the average broadband usage is between 9 and 13 gigs a month worldwide, so we have an international benchmark to work with.

A news report on MyBB either last month or the previous month said that MWEB had grown their subscriber base to 170000 users and they were still going strong. I will use this number in my assessment.

Another news report on MyBB this month mentioned that MWEB now puts through approximately 2 petabytes of data a month. A petabyte is 1048576 gigabytes for those to lazy to google.

Now we all know that uncapped broadband worldwide works on a bell curve. This I won't explain as you are bright folks and I am lazy. :D

A simple calculation " average usage = total volume/ total users "
so: average usage = 2091752/170000
average usage = 12.336 gigs :wtf: didn't they say we would do hundreds?

Just over 12 gigs per user and this user base includes business users. If you had to strip them out I am pretty sure it would be about 11 gigs.

So much for uncapped is unsustainable, if you build your own network and with caching you cannot deliver 12 gigs per account perhaps you should reconsider your business plan!

I am writing this because I felt some FACT needed to be put into the "sustainability" debate.

Last edited:
Hey this is local ISP's unsustainable = investment in our network - if they have to spend money on their network the profit margin might get affected - shortsighted you think?

McGuywer

Executive Member
Mweb had the capital to invest in their own network.
Have you read the Mweb article on MyBB?
The newest one, published today.

Shayd

Expert Member
You mean the one that says capped is dead? I understand that they have a parent that can afford to build a large scale network, but internet access isn't a niche market it is a utility and as such is a high volume low margin business. Our ISP's need to wake up and realize this fact.

You don't buy your water from joe soaps backyard water treatment plant and you don't run a petrol generator to power your house(except in emergencies) , much like internet access it is simply better done bigger.

The access itself should be cheap, you wanna add VAS services to increase margin go for it but don't sell me water and tell me yours is special.

Last edited:

Veneficus

Shayd I agree with what you are saying
Bandwidth should be as cheap as water.

but the problem is mostly the lovely company called Telkom

they charge allot for things that should be really dirt cheap
the interconenct fee's charged by Telkom is keeping all the prices high