Things don't look good for the SA Post Office

K

kingrob

Then do something about it!!

The picture being sketched is that the anc and their cadres infest a company, suck it completely dry, leave the rotting corpse and move on to the next parastatal.

Nobody in the anc is willing to be accountable and responsible.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Who cares? Does anyone even use the post office still? Post Offices all over the world are in trouble. People simply don't send things via post anymore. Things are either electronically emailed, or if you really need to send a parcel you simply use a private courier company. Personally I can't remember the last time I used anything to do with the Post Office. The only stuff I get in my letterbox is junk mail.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Who cares? Does anyone even use the post office still? Post Offices all over the world are in trouble. People simply don't send things via post anymore. Things are either electronically emailed, or if you really need to send a parcel you simply use a private courier company. Personally I can't remember the last time I used anything to do with the Post Office. The only stuff I get in my letterbox is junk mail.

Lots of small businesses rely on the post office, as couriering things like letters is just not worth it.

Same as people who use 5GB of data a month and berate everyone who uses more as hogs, just because you don't have a use case for it does not mean no one else does.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Lots of small businesses rely on the post office, as couriering things like letters is just not worth it.

Same as people who use 5GB of data a month and berate everyone who uses more as hogs, just because you don't have a use case for it does not mean no one else does.

Why would you want to send a letter though when it's so easy to simply write an email or scan something and send as an attachment?

Petec

Expert Member
This is going to have a huge impact on small parcel imports. The guys that import stuff from China via EMS are going to see that logistics chain dry up.
Personally I am loving it, because these are the tw4ts who get their invoices changed so minimal vat and zero duties are paid.

The flip side however, are things like speed services. They use the same infrastructure as the post office, so they are now also dead in the water. That will be a sad loss for local shipping. People are going to pay a lot for for their stuff unless they can tie into a big logistics system like Takealot.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Bills by email, parcels by courier. Kill the Post Office!

Ultimately their own actions will kill their golden goose. Many have and are migrating to alternate means of getting post and parcels through. For the workers, they have lay offs and retrenchment, as the income for this defunct parastatal will dwindle into pittance.

Petec

Expert Member
Oooohh, also what about the shedloads of cash in their banking system. Loads of people are going to be out of pocket. And what about the pension payment system. The elderly get their pensions at the post offices. That is also going to stop 'aint it?

Sheesh, so many affected by this avoidable farce.

GoofySmurf

Expert Member
Why would you want to send a letter though when it's so easy to simply write an email or scan something and send as an attachment?

You forget 90% of the population lives in poverty. That means not everyone is sitting behind a computer and allot of them are lucky if they can find a brick to sit on.

Other people are not as fortunate as you are.

Petec

Expert Member
Yup Goofy, millions are going to be terribly affected by this.
And yet, they keep voting the buggers back into power... The mind boggles.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
You forget 90% of the population lives in poverty. That means not everyone is sitting behind a computer and allot of them are lucky if they can find a brick to sit on.

Even my maid and gardener have Android smartphones with internet access these days, so I don't buy that at all.

And thousands of jobs for the innocent ones.

Artificially supporting a dying industry just to keep people employed may be good in the short-term but eventually the inevitable will happen sooner or later. Rather let it be sooner so people can reskill or retrain. The same thing happened with telegrams, steam engines, cotton mills, and a hundred different old technologies and industries. Progress marches on and people need to either adapt or die. The fact is that the postal industry is dying and obsolete. Many businesses have completely stopped using the postal service as technological alternatives have presented themselves. Revenues are drying up and there is nothing they can do to reverse it.

ponder

Honorary Master

Nah, cell phone penetration is pretty high and you'll find that the maid, barman or guy that does your garden probably has a better phone than you have.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Can you do FICA and RICA stuff with emailed statements?

I've never had a problem. I just print them out double-sided on the highest quality setting, fold them up so they look they've been in an envelope and present them as if they've been posted to me. Fools everyone.