This is how I took down the SABC: Anonymous hacker

SilverCode

I wonder if it wouldn't be more beneficial to perform a DDOS on the public IP's for SABC offices, instead of just trying to take down their website. That way the SABC is actually affected by loss of productivity (well, even more so) instead of just bringing down a website no one cares about.

McGuywer

Executive Member
I wonder if it wouldn't be more beneficial to perform a DDOS on the public IP's for SABC offices, instead of just trying to take down their website. That way the SABC is actually affected by loss of productivity (well, even more so) instead of just bringing down a website no one cares about.
Not the answer but I believe it is a better way of doing it.
Perhaps getting their mailservers blacklisted and spam the whole domain.
I do not think a lot of the internal networks are actually visible from outside.

saor

Honorary Master
What did you achieve by bringing sabc down
Not much, but someone needs to give them the middle finger.
They certainly don't care what some people on a forum say about them.
Might not be the most effective push-back, but what other push-back are the SABC getting?

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Maybe they should have noticed that https://twitter.com/SABC_COO is a parody account. The worst part about those type of attacks is that it is tax-money spent to fix it. AFAIK, the EFF site was also taken down a week or two back.

What most people don't get is that we live in a democracy and it is ultimately the choice of the people to vote a party into power. You might not like the fact that the leadership of the ANC is mostly corrupt and put the interest of the party before the benefit of their people, but this is how votes have been cast. Attacking political parties attacks the core of our constitution and rights of any political party. Once we endorse/support this we are not far away to attack people of different religion/affiliation/sexual orientation just because we happen to not agree with it.

If Anonymous and others want to put focus on racisms, corruption and other topics, there are other means of social activism than DDoS websites which no-one ever visits. There are more efficient ways of hacktivism (such as obtaining customer information and then mass-mailing/SMS the voter-base - highly illegal and something you should really not ever do).

If you ever worked in a corporate environment, those attacks are common and hardly cause much issue in companies like SABC - there will be public condemnation and then the consultants are brought in to fix at the expense of tax-payers. If the attacked organisation can drive back a political agenda, this will even result in a win for the attacked.

Even damage to reputation has been short-lived. No-one remembers the actual purpose/cause of the attack and in most cases it inconveniences the end-user only.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
What most people don't get is that we live in a democracy and it is ultimately the choice of the people to vote a party into power. You might not like the fact that the leadership of the ANC is mostly corrupt and put the interest of the party before the benefit of their people, but this is how votes have been cast. Attacking political parties attacks the core of our constitution and rights of any political party. Once we endorse/support this we are not far away to attack people of different religion/affiliation/sexual orientation just because we happen to not agree with it.
I disagree. Stupid people in large numbers is most definitely a problem, and leads to the schitstorm that we're currently sitting with. They need to be protected from themselves, much like children. The day when their votes can't be bought with a streetwise 2, is the day when I start believing that this country, or contintent for that matter, is mature enough for a proper democracy...

Azg

Expert Member
Are they from Zimbabwe? There are numerous references to Zimbabwe including the name @zim4thewin and run ins with Zimbabwe "intelligence".

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I disagree. Stupid people in large numbers is most definitely a problem, and leads to the schitstorm that we're currently sitting with. They need to be protected from themselves, much like children. The day when their votes can't be bought with a streetwise 2, is the day when I start believing that this country, or contintent for that matter, is mature enough for a proper democracy...
Say that to the americans rooting for racist and xenophobic Trump.

freddster

Expert Member
true. But we know the end result. Too many power hungry morons who will rather see their countries go down the gutter than lose power.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
That may be true, but there is always a 50/50 chance there. In SA it's almost guaranteed 2/3 ANC...
People say that the ANC is in power here because of the masses not being educated and coerced into votes by t-shirts/food-parcels and the fear of white domination. In the US you have Trump who manages to attract a large support base by building a 55-foot wall (which can be scaled with a 56-foot ladder) and opening up xenophobia against mexicans and arabs.

My point was that the uneducated masses currently sitting in a township over candlelight and non-running water/lacking sanitation will have no clue (and could not even care) if some hacker-group DDoS websites. This voter base does not even understand the level of corruption in the country (and most of us are probably equally puzzled by all this).

There is no real point in what Anonymous does to educate the masses and introduce change. I would support their initiative if they did a "South African Panama Papers"

LCBXX

Honorary Master
"Attacks" such as these further blunts the proverbial teeth Anonymous claims to have. Pity that MagicDude4Eva is right - a pissload of taxpayer money is going to be spent on overkill security and equipment just because some website, which in the scheme of things has at best 50% of the traffic MyBB has, was down for a little bit.

Arthur

Honorary Master
The Anonymous writer needs to be careful. Syntax, punctuation and style are markers that can be used by a skilled person to narrow the search considerably.

ponder

Honorary Master
There is no real point in what Anonymous does to educate the masses and introduce change. I would support their initiative if they did a "South African Panama Papers"
I would like to see a hack exposing bank accounts, money trails, shady deals, etc etc but I still don't think it will make one iota of difference to the way people vote. We have to wait for Jesus to return unfortunately.