This is where you can get your Smart ID

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So much for all the hoo ha about doing it at the banks! .... :(

cr@zydude

Executive Member
So much for all the hoo ha about doing it at the banks! .... :(
That's what I was expecting from the article. The home affairs in govan mbeki avenue in PE is working quite nicely though. It took about 40 minutes to apply for my ID card. It was ready for collection 2 days later.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so still not able to do it at the banks but only at Home affairs?

Pitbull

Verboten
Weirdest thing though...

My Dad is a South African on his ID document.
However since he was born in Suid-Wes Afrika (Indicate don the document) he can't get a card :confused:
And he has a citizen ID not a Residential ID... My brother has the same issue. He was born in Bophuthatswana...

Pitbull

Verboten
Weirdest thing though...

However since he was born in Suid-Wes Afrika (Indicate don the document) he can't get a card :confused:
And he has a citizen ID not a Residential ID... My brother has the same issue. He was born in Bophuthatswana...

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weirdest thing though...

Why is he being denied a card? As SWA was part of SA, at least according to SA, at the time, SA nationality would have been given to (white) citizens. Your brother would be an SA citizen, as he was born to an SA citizen, your dad.

Pitbull

Verboten
Why is he being denied a card? As SWA was part of SA, at least according to SA, at the time, SA nationality would have been given to (white) citizens. Your brother would be an SA citizen, as he was born to an SA citizen, your dad.
I have no idea. Him and my mom went to have it done and he was informed that because he was born in SWA he can't get a card. My brother was told the same. My father was born in SA then SWA and my brother in what is now known as the North West. Funny shyte I kid you not.

Maybe it's because it's still in the rolling our phase and they need to do it after? I have no idea. But the place of birth is the problem.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I have no idea. Him and my mom went to have it done and he was informed that because he was born in SWA he can't get a card. My brother was told the same. My father was born in SA then SWA and my brother in what is now known as the North West. Funny shyte I kid you not.

Maybe it's because it's still in the rolling our phase and they need to do it after? I have no idea. But the place of birth is the problem.
Was your dad born in SA or SWA? The bold part confuses me. Either way, SA considered SWA to be a province, and should have given him SA citizenship. According to the laws at the time, from SA's view, your brother was born in a foreign country. He should have been a citizen from birth though, as his dad was a citizen. Also, when the bantustans were re-incorporated, TBVC citizens were 'given' SA citizenship.

Maybe home affairs only wants to do easy ids for now. The haven't officially rolled the system out to everyone yet.

Stevi

Expert Member
Still in pilot phase for the bank applications. Should be available soon at banks and HA I assume

Pitbull

Verboten
Was your dad born in SA or SWA? The bold part confuses me. Either way, SA considered SWA to be a province, and should have given him SA citizenship. According to the laws at the time, from SA's view, your brother was born in a foreign country. He should have been a citizen from birth though, as his dad was a citizen. Also, when the bantustans were re-incorporated, TBVC citizens were 'given' SA citizenship.

Maybe home affairs only wants to do easy ids for now. The haven't officially rolled the system out to everyone yet.
Sorry man, my internet connection at work seems to be very slow. Causing double posts and takes 5 minutes to respond to a post...

My dad was born in 1951 in Windhoek SWA (Which was then part of SA). He has always been a South African citizen. My brother I understand as he was born in a country that doesn't exist no more but got citizenship through decent. But they should both still be able to get cards. This is however being refused at Home affairs due to their place of birth.

I also suspect that it has to do with it being on rollout phase now and easy ones are simpler as you put it :p

bokdrol

Executive Member
I went on Friday to DHA in Pretoria CBD. Chaotic, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. About an hour. You only need your ID book. They will SMS me when it is ready. Hubby went a few weeks ago, he got his within a week.

Turgon

"This is where you can get your Smart ID"
...ah I was expecting a nice ELI5 with colourful diagrams, showing which body parts we can choose to get the chip inserted into. Next time maybe...

S.I.D.

<S> - on the planet of my people, it's a sign of Hope!