This is why you should cover your webcam

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is why you should cover your webcam

Many security experts are concerned about the possible privacy breaches that could occur through devices like webcams.

Webcams have been around since the early 1990s, and many of these devices are vulnerable to unauthorised access, either due to a lack of built-in security features or negligent behaviour by the user.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Saw a picture once of Mark Zuckerberg and his laptop's camera was covered. I'm assuming it was his laptop as he was sitting on the table it was on.

Russell S

If you worried about that, you should also disconnect you laptop microphone so they can't listen to you.

Or just change your lifestyle and do most of your computer work on the toilet...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Like they could see thought the crust...

~ stating for a friend

S.Claus

Expert Member
Ever since I got this piece of comedy gold (even if its a scare tactic) I started covering my webcam and microphone with a small piece of black electric tape.

And yes I did have my fun with this scammer :ROFL:

garp

Executive Member
Most laptops these days power the webcam via a LED that illuminates when the cam has power. This is physically wired and there is no way to bypass this in software - if the webcam has power, the status light will be on.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
If you worried about that, you should also disconnect you laptop microphone so they can't listen to you.

Or just change your lifestyle and do most of your computer work on the toilet...
Misses the point. Most people assume their cam is there for software to use the same as their monitor or soundcard. But it appears some cams actually connect to IP so they can be accessed like a webserver.

mr_norris

Expert Member
View attachment 742353
Ever since I got this piece of comedy gold (even if its a scare tactic) I started covering my webcam and microphone with a small piece of black electric tape.

And yes I did have my fun with this scammer :ROFL:

I got the same thing - and it prompted a huge overhaul of how I manage my passwords, as the one in the mail was one of my most used ones back in the day.

I then apologised to my friends and told them to brace themselves, as I'd rather them see the "repulsive videos" than pay $1000 :D

yebocan

Honorary Master
I got the same thing - and it prompted a huge overhaul of how I manage my passwords, as the one in the mail was one of my most used ones back in the day.

I then apologised to my friends and told them to brace themselves, as I'd rather them see the "repulsive videos" than pay $1000 :D

+1