Three years on, Chile mine probe closes without charge

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
107,572
Reaction score
10,210
Location
District 9
Three years after 33 trapped Chilean miners were rescued in an operation that captivated the world, an investigation into the site's management closed without any charges.

"We made the decision not to continue, because we don't believe we can bring charges over these events," regional Atacama prosecutor Hector Mella told reporters on Wednesday.

The investigation was initiated after the August 5, 2010 mine collapse that buried the minters for 69 days at approximately 700 meters (2,290 feet) underground in Chile's Atacama region.

"We called our lawyer who told us to be calm. We have another lawsuit, for negligence," miner Luis Urzua, who took on the role as spokesman for his rescued peers, told AFP Thursday.

The San Jose gold and copper mine in northern Chile had been in operation for more than a century, but was closed a year before the collapse over an accident involving one if its workers.

The investigation was against site owners and entrepreneurs Marcelo Kemeny and Alejandro Bohn.

The mine had returned to operation after being cleared by the National Service of Geology and Mining.

"The decision to not continue (...) is a clear indication that the owners of the San Jose mine had not committed any crime" defense attorney Catherine Lathrop told the newspaper La Tercera.

"It was an unfortunate accident," the lawyer said.


Source : Sapa-AFP /sdv
Date : 01 Aug 2013 19:43
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X