TIP: Improve your YouTube Resolution (rain on PC)

ScrooV

This is not a tip to circumnavigate rains video shaping - but just a tip to get a better resolution whilst using the same amount of rain bandwidth (1Mbps) when watching YouTube.

The trick is to force YouTube to stream at 30fps (or 24fps) instead of the default 60fps. This might not be comfortable for everyone, as the low fps with higher resolution might not always be preferable to high fps with low resolution. (I think it is better however)

How to do it:
1) Install the browser extension Tampermonkey (Browser extension Links)
2) Go to Greasy Fork (script repository) Link
3) Search for script called "Disable YouTube 60 FPS" (Chrome Link)
4) Click Install Script
5) Test a YouTube video - Right mouse click on YT video, click: "stats for nerds" and you should see YouTube now running at 30fps (or lower)
6) You can easily switch the script on or off from the Tampermonkey extension tab in the browser.

You should now easily get 480p or 720p resolution - albeit at a lower frame rate without going over rains 360p "speed limit"

Notes from Script author:
This script tells YouTube that your browser only supports 30FPS or less,
which means that you will see regular 30FPS versions of all HD videos.

WHY DO THIS?:
For my six year old laptop, switching from 1080p60 to 1080p30 reduces
the CPU usage by 2-4x, and removes all CPU overloads that used to make
my browser and video playback freeze! This means longer battery life,
and a much happier video watching experience!

(Furthermore, most older graphics cards only support hardware acceleration
of 1080p30 or lower, which means that using this script may allow your
graphics card to perform the video decoding for great battery savings!)

Last edited:

Dretastic06

This is not a tip to circumnavigate rains video shaping - but just a tip to get a better resolution whilst using the same amount of rain bandwidth (1Mbps) when watching YouTube.

The trick is to force YouTube to stream at 30fps (or 24fps) instead of the default 60fps. This might not be comfortable for everyone, as the low fps with higher resolution might not always be preferable to high fps with low resolution. (I think it is better however)

How to do it:
1) Install the browser extension Tampermonkey (Browser extension Links)
2) Go to Greasy Fork (script repository) Link
3) Search for script called "Disable YouTube 60 FPS" (Chrome Link)
4) Click Install Script
5) Test a YouTube video - Right mouse click on YT video, click: "stats for nerds" and you should see YouTube now running at 30fps (or lower)
6) You can easily switch the script on or off from the Tampermonkey extension tab in the browser.

You should now easily get 480p or 720p resolution - albeit at a lower frame rate without going over rains 360p "speed limit"

Notes from Script author:
Delete this before rain sees it lol