To WOD or to NOT

GTAMCN

I am undecided on whether I should resubscribe to WoW when WoD comes out ... :confused:

Watched allot of videos and read some WoD stuff on reddit and I don't know if I'm fully convinced yet, can WoD be what wow needs to stay relevant ???

I was a avid player up until panda came out, stopped playing due to time constraints. I enjoyed the game and all of the little things it did, fun nights raiding with my guild, random pugs, endless questing , waking up at 02:00 to rush the new patch/expansion content, trade chat etc. a lot of fun stuff then I stopped and focused on important stuff.

Now I see this new expansion ,probably coming out @ the end of the year, and having somewhat more time on my hands don't know if I soul go back to wow. What do you guys think, what are your thoughts on WOW and WOD in general is this what WOW needs? Will/can WoD bring back many players like myself? Do you think this expansion will be any good? If you left will you return, why/why not?

:D

(Ps writing from touchscreen not my best typing)

SoulTax

Executive Member
My honest opinion is this:

Wildstar comes out tomorrow for pre-order and Tuesday for reals. It seems to have all the things that WoW has and then some. I played WoW for 4 years solid and another 2 on and off. I am now super excited for Wildstar. New story, new lore, great styling and fun combat.

I would challenge you to think about the costs and give Wildstar a 2 month chance. If WoW comes out in December, then between now and then you have 6 subscriptions to pay. Take 4 of those subscriptions and Buy Wildstar. Try it out and if you don't like it but still want your MMO fix, get WoW in December. If you do like it, you will be taking on a new MMO without the imprinted nostalgea (For good or bad) that WoW brings up.

I know that when playing WoW and seeing the state of the game now, I just cannot get into it because I fell in love with a different version of the game.
Wildstar gives me a new game to start fresh on.

Wikkels88

Expert Member
I'm definitely getting WoD, gave Wildstar a go in the open Beta access, and although its fun, come WoD end of the year, I know I'll be playing that for some time to come, and I don't have the time to juggle 2 MMO's, so going to hold out till WoD to get my fix

SnowWar

Expert Member
My opinion.

Well if you managed to drop the addiction called WOW then honestly try not to go back! Sure I still regard it as 1 of the best games ever, if not the best and I have years and years of fond memories from it, but its one hell of a time sink & takes over lives. Don't try and convince me you are different. Not going to work :)

SoulTax

Executive Member
I'm definitely getting WoD, gave Wildstar a go in the open Beta access, and although its fun, come WoD end of the year, I know I'll be playing that for some time to come, and I don't have the time to juggle 2 MMO's, so going to hold out till WoD to get my fix

Ye sure, but out of interest, are you currently playing WoW? The picture looks very different if you are still playing WoW right now, then sure to move onto another MMO is weird.

You see, I get the feeling that OP stopped playing after Panda and hasn't really been back much, if at all. So Starting a new MMO from fresh is much easier and makes sense.

Also, playing a game a little during open beta does not really give it a fair enough shake. Sure it might not be for you, but if you think about it, you might stick out in WoW for content that is promised 6 months from now. Why not give another MMO that same chance.

Icecream

I took a break from WoW to try firstly Elder Scrolls (sucked) and then Wildstar (awesome). However, I'm not sure WS will be able to hold me long term, it's very much geared towards the super hard-core player and will take an intense amount of effort and time to be able to be able to raid. With WoW, I know I have a raid guild there for whenever I want it and there is plenty of other in-game stuff to do when, due to work or life etc, I can't raid for a few months. Playing WS actually made me miss WoW more, which is weird, so I'll definately be playing WoD! :)

Yster21

TL;DR: The question is rather whether you like a challenge, then get WS. You like to face-roll always, go WoW.

After playing Wildstar, I can't see myself downgrading my gaming experience to go back to WoW. It would be the same as playing international rugby, then deciding it's too much and rather go play provincial rugby again.

Wildstar is definitely more "hardcore", causing players to flock away to their comfort zones, which is a damned shame. It is better than WoW in every way, in my opinion, and that's coming from a guy who has often scoffed at so-called "WoW killers" over the past 9 years.

I'd rather play a game where I need to keep my wits about me at all times, as opposed to face-rolling over everything all the time in WoW. WoW's become a game for the soft (putting mah flame suit on). :)

The problem with WoW (MoP in particular) is that all the dungeons are too easy, the quests are monotonous (and have been for a very long time, and what makes it worse is that Blizzard forces you to level by solely doing all the quests, with no real other alternative for leveling), the dailies are purely a grind for rep to get the entry-level epic loot that allow you to raid (which you feel compelled to do), and there are only five or so 5-man instances to try for the entire expansion, which you run to death and get bored of after 5 runs per instance max (specifically MoP). Variety is the spice of life and all that.

The only criticism I could throw at WS is that it isn't as polished as it could be, but Carbine seems to be working around the clock to get it there. Several patches get released each week, which is a positive sign.

In the end, the game is as much about the community as the game itself, so a great game could suck if you play it on your own as opposed to playing a mediocre game with friends. I could ramble on forever, but if you consider yourself a skilled gamer looking for a challenge, then come try out some Wildstar on Eko-PvE (Exiles) with Sorted, or there's a Dominion guild on Zhur-PvP called Grim Wolves. Man up and do it. :)

Conack

Expert Member
Grim Wolves moved to Hazak as of yesterday as Zhur has turned into a complete ghost town.

Not quite sold on Wildstar myself due to the massive grinds. My #1 gripe with the game.

Reign

My opinion.

Well if you managed to drop the addiction called WOW then honestly try not to go back! Sure I still regard it as 1 of the best games ever, if not the best and I have years and years of fond memories from it, but its one hell of a time sink & takes over lives. Don't try and convince me you are different. Not going to work :)

Come back for mystic raiding I know you miss the game :)