jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Top TVs of 2012

South Africa’s top tech gurus give their views on the top television released this year, which include devices from Sony, Samsung and LG

Wag

Expert Member
Looking at some of the faces I think calling them Tech Gurus is stretching it a bit.

Beri

Expert Member
So this gurus evaluated the tvs and picked this one. Looked all and reviewed them. Or did they just go the the money factor. That is the only way to do it.....

Speedster

Honorary Master
What a total waste of an article! How about publishing something that actually has some value for the reader (consumer)?

Hades

What a total waste of an article! How about publishing something that actually has some value for the reader (consumer)?

Agreed. Pointless article. The best tv is over R100k and there is no media at the moment to even make use of 4K resolution.

An article stating best TV's per category would make more sense!

The tech guru panel at least made me LOL! Thanks!

R13...

Honorary Master
It's holidays guys. But even then SA doesn't have any tech review services or people. Even the forum member experts tend to be fanboys, otherwise they might make credible reviewers.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
As much as I prefer Sony, I would rather have picked the LG 55" OLED model as TV of the year.

Roman4604

Executive Member
As much as I prefer Sony, I would rather have picked the LG 55" OLED model as TV of the year.
Seems thought, mass production of large screen OLED panels is proving to be more problematic then was first envisaged. After the ra-ra launch a year ago, neither LG or Samsung have begun delivering them into any major market.

Last edited:

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Seems thought, mass production of large screen OLED panels is proving to be more problematic than then first envisaged. After the ra-ra launch a year ago, neither LG or Samsung have begun delivering them into any major market.

Pany and Sharp have 8K models out. Sure, not for consumers, but you can probably approach the companies directly if you are well off. It's not like custom orders don't exist for the super rich.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
It's holidays guys. But even then SA doesn't have any tech review services or people. Even the forum member experts tend to be fanboys, otherwise they might make credible reviewers.

You're assuming all these "review" sites are somehow unbiased and scientifically rigorous. Even if they were unbiased and scientifically rigorous, there would still be subjective bias and unexamined assumption into what makes something "better". Is better hyper-real colour or realistic washed out colours? Is proper colour reproduction something you need on video/photo editing displays and medical monitors important for TV/BD/DVD viewers who watch TV in substandard environments anyway? Is 24fps better as on the cinema 35mm film projector, or smooth video like 200 fps motion which looks terrible IMO and seems to defeat all these video graphers buying progressive video cameras and video editing software plugins which are meant to give the "filmic" look. How many points do you give relatively to better contrast vs higher pixel count or better viewing angle? What of the look of the TV? Some people care about the bezel, while others want it to look expensive, while others don't care. What of the "Smart" features? I would prefer a better screen than all these useless sub-par features. Who checks the reviewer's disclosures for shares in Sony Corp USA or look at their ad revenues to see what they prioritize? And what makes a reviewer good anyway? Is it Spielberg reviewing the TV or the film's director of photography/colorist or is it some hipster journalist schmuck with supersize ego?

By all means I would go with a professional colorist/director/photography director comment on the way his movies look like on the given TV.

Last edited:

Seriously

Honorary Master
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55es8000.html
es8000-lg.jpg

At $2500 or so the UN55ES8000 is certainly in the top echelon of price/quality offerings. In fact, it has more features than any other TV out there save for maybe the LG. Samsung's own PN60E8000 plasma sells for $500 less with the same features except the striking appearance. However, the recent service records on Samsung's top plasma TVs has not been encouraging for plasma technology. LG's 55LM8600 is a direct competitor and almost the same price. Sony's KDL55HX850 is also an edge-lit direct competitor at a $200 discount

What can we say?

Roman4604

Executive Member
Pany and Sharp have 8K models out.
Dont know about 8K, but with OLED dragging its feet I expect UHD (Ultra HD, the official name for 4K) to headline at CES 2013, including plenty of TVs and hopefully the next gen Blu-ray format together with some studio support announcements.

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
WTF?

Top TVs of 2012

South Africa’s top tech gurus give their views on the top television released this year, which include devices from Sony, Samsung and LG

There is lately (December 2012) a lot that SA's "top tech gurus" want give their opinions on ranging from laptops to tech let-downs and other things that honestly does not make a difference in anyone's decision or life choices for that matter. Now I understand the year 2012 is drawing to an end, but really, WTF? :wtf:

These "geniuses" have decided to share their opinions with us, the "ordinary man on the street" and how uninspiring is it that some of us honestly do not even value their opinions at all but instead it is now starting to look like a spamming of articles like these where our very own "top tech gurus" share their opinions on anything under the African sky. LOL.:p

Seriously

Honorary Master
There is lately (December 2012) a lot that SA's "top tech gurus" want give their opinions on ranging from laptops to tech let-downs and other things that honestly does not make a difference in anyone's decision or life choices for that matter. Now I understand the year 2012 is drawing to an end, but really, WTF? :wtf:

These "geniuses" have decided to share their opinions with us, the "ordinary man on the street" and how uninspiring is it that some of us honestly do not even value their opinions at all but instead it is now starting to look like a spamming of articles like these where our very own "top tech gurus" share their opinions on anything under the African sky. LOL.:p

So yo think maybe you are then better than them "gurus"? FFS they only selected the "best" tech in their opinions and from where i stand those TV's look massive and thus also very expensive.

I cannot understand why there are always "clever" idiots spamming these articles or threads while trying to sound freaking clever at the same time.

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
It's alive!

So yo think maybe you are then better than them "gurus"? FFS they only selected the "best" tech in their opinions and from where i stand those TV's look massive and thus also very expensive.

I cannot understand why there are always "clever" idiots spamming these articles or threads while trying to sound freaking clever at the same time.
The words "clever" and "idiots" should never be used in the same sentence. It just doesn't sound correct. These two words have a different meaning from each other. As an individual I do have my own opinion about matters unlike some "sheep" who just follow blindly and gets lead to the slaughter house. :twisted:

Out of what hole did you crawl, Seriously? But each of us have our own opinion on things and that shows how wonderfull human life is and your conscious, sober mind can obviously form thought patterns of it's own...WOW that is just so amazing, man!! Now go annoy someone else. :whistling:

yyv

I'm sure the salesman at Dionwired, Audiovision, Etc know more about televisions than these tech gurus. Seems they went on hype and price.

Seriously

Honorary Master
The words "clever" and "idiots" should never be used in the same sentence. It just doesn't sound correct. These two words have a different meaning from each other. As an individual I do have my own opinion about matters unlike some "sheep" who just follow blindly and gets lead to the slaughter house. :twisted:

Out of what hole did you crawl, Seriously? But each of us have our own opinion on things and that shows how wonderfull human life is and your conscious, sober mind can obviously form thought patterns of it's own...WOW that is just so amazing, man!! Now go annoy someone else. :whistling:

Now where is our mommy, tell her i say hi. :whistling:

Now tell me what is wrong selecting that massive TV obviously with very interesting tech as MyBB TV of the year? Hmmmm, instead of just venting your ignorance.

Now let see what they (some of the gurus) got and then please show us yours!

Aki Anastasiou – Radio 702 Technobyte and Tech on Tap presenter
http://www.702.co.za/profiles.asp?id=4

http://www.gadget.co.za/pebble.asp?relid=5326

In partnership with Microsoft Windows 8, Tech on Tap is a 15-minute infotainment series focusing on the world of gadgets and gizmos. It’ll bring you up–to-date technology news, the latest IT trends, as well as reviews of the best software, hardware, web and even mobile applications. All that, in language you can understand!

“Traditionally, tech-speak has sent ordinary people running for cover. This collaboration with Summit is a great opportunity to demystify technology to the person in the street and businesspeople, and show how new technologies like Windows 8 can make their lives simpler and more connected,” said Colin Erasmus, who heads the Windows business at Microsoft SA.

Summit scooped renowned journalists Toby Shapshak and Aki Anastasiou to co-host the show. Better known as the Greek Geek, Aki’s humour and boundless enthusiasm make him a sought-after speaker at tech-conferences and expos.

Toby, who also has a string of awards under his belt, was recently dubbed the most high-profile technology journalist in the country and the major talking head for everything and anything tech. The two regularly attend many international conferences to stay ahead and identify future trends.

Arthur Goldstuck – World Wide Worx MD and Gadget.co.za editor

http://gadget.co.za/

Jannie van Zyl – Vodacom executive and tech guru
Jan Vermeulen – MyBroadband journalist
Gerrit Vermeulen – Software developer and MyBroadband reviewer

http://gadget.co.za/

Last edited:

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Dont know about 8K, but with OLED dragging its feet I expect UHD (Ultra HD, the official name for 4K) to headline at CES 2013, including plenty of TVs and hopefully the next gen Blu-ray format together with some studio support announcements.

4K is the industry name, Ultra HD is the marketing name. :p It's also easier to say u know.

With 8K (Super Hi Vision) sets and cameras being made already, 4K looks like something not worth writing much about.
London Olympics were recorded in 8K. Who in the right mind with enough cash would not feel disappointed.

Will 4K sets be OLED too? It seems like there are problems producing HD OLED sets. Will we see 4K "LED" and HD OLED?
In that case which would you buy? Will you spend R280K on a 4K LCD with worse colour contrast?

(Note that OLED is just the display technology, while LED is LCD with LED backlight, OLED is just each pixel being a seperate LED.
So 4K OLED is something to look forward to, but 4K LCD (LED) is not, unless there really is a lot of stuff out in that format. I doubt there will be because b/w speeds are so terrible anyway - 4K 60FPS video will be extremely slow to transfer for the average consumer or even the upper middle class consumer. A new QL BD format and new BDs to purchase of the same films? I think most consumers won't like it.)

The economy is also bad so I don't know how many people will buy a new flat screen TV because the pixel count is double. Then when they watch their BDs on it, and the pixel interpolation makes things look blurry - will they be happy?