Torque wrench advice please

Neville

For those of you that tinker on cars or are motor mechanics, I'm looking at buying a torque wrench for DIY use. Any advice? Good brands? Bad brands? Hows the Geodore stuff? Looks like there are different types like "click adjustable" and "quick release"?

Will mainly be used to torque wheelnuts after changing between track and street wheels and occasionally for braver jobs like putting the car's intake manifold back on or or "torquing" heads etc.

Any good deals in Cape Town area you might know of?

cheers
Neville

ponder

Honorary Master
For the average diyer Gedore should be ok.

You torque your wheelnuts?

Neville

Yip, its a pain having to replave studs on the hub if you strip one... I've seen it happen. So paranoid about not tightening the nuts enough and a wheel comes off at full tilt on the track, and over tightening it and stripping a lug.

what do the Gedore ones go for new? Saw one on Gumtree for R1000... is that good?

Nocturnity

Expert Member
R1000 is pretty cheap... Gedore is ok. I'm not sure about their after sales service but look for a make that offers decent service. You'll need to have it re-calibrated from time-to-time to make sure everything's still in spec. A very important bit of info is to store your torque wrench correctly. Always store it in an unstressed state.

Have a look here: http://www.toolshop.co.za/index.php?category=Torque Wrenches&id=9

And if you have tons of moolah, you can have a look at these: http://www.hazet.de/uploads/tx_d3mlinkedsources/kap10_e_06.pdf

Leimie

Remember to get a torque wrench with the correct range. Wheel nuts should normally be tightened to around 100 Nm.

I normally get my tools at Fowkes Bros in Paarden Eiland.

Neville

Thanks dudes.

Any idea what range the nuts for a Subaru boxer motor's intake manifold would need?
I'll get the exact number from the mechie, just need a guestimate for now.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yip, its a pain having to replave studs on the hub if you strip one... I've seen it happen. So paranoid about not tightening the nuts enough and a wheel comes off at full tilt on the track, and over tightening it and stripping a lug.

If you strip a wheel nut then you have gorilla genes, you must be retarded to strip one. The wheel is not going to come off, there are 4 to 5 nuts/bolts per wheel and you would need some serious vibrations to lose a nut/bolt or two. You would quite happily function with 2-3 wheel nuts, I promise you the wheel is not just gonna hop off and do it's own thing.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Gedore is quality. Won't need anything more.

Gedore is good but not the best out there. They do have different ranges of torque wrenches though so you could pay anything from R1000 to R10 000 for a torque wrench.