Touch Screen Kiosk

tco21

Cynical Grinch
Right, yet another question :D

I've just had a guy come in with quite a unique enquiry.

He wants to set up a kiosk in his store, which will allow customers to purchase items as if they were purchasing it online. (Why I do not know).

I think he's going to be building the Kiosk and implementing a system based on the .NET framework and using an API based on open-source software.

The catch is, the kiosk will have an additional touch pad/screen along with a stylus. The purpose for this is so that customers can sign on it when doing credit applications.

I was wondering whether this is possible, and viable?

Personally I don't think it's all too secure, and I'm not sure about the longevity of the signing screen. I have my doubts as to whether open-source signature recognition software exists and how that would work.

Nevertheless, as always, no harm in asking.

Thanks

tco21

Cynical Grinch
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually going to recommend the first point to him. It will end up cheaper that way too.

Keeper

Honorary Master
why signature recognition ?

doesn't he just want a copy of the signature?

tco21

Cynical Grinch
Good point. Didn't really think of that.
Anyone know of Kiosk manufacturers (and not resellers, as I want a custom one made).

On the system side, I'm thinking of putting a linux distro - because there's no licensing involved and it will allow customers to do the e-commerce browsing + payment.

tco21

Cynical Grinch
Right. Update.

The kiosks are not going to use signature recognition as a method of verification or registration. Instead they will be based on the CCV payment method as are online systems.

However, I am looking for touch screen protection film - does anybody know of any local manufacturers/ suppliers?

Peter Strydom

tco21

Notice that this posting was some time back - have you managed to sort your query out as yet?

tco21

Cynical Grinch
Hi Peter - the guy cancelled the project. I wish he didn't - would have been very interesting.

greggpb

Expert Member
Just a note, I was in the USA at the begining of this year... every time i used a Credit Card at a store I swiped it myself and signed on a touch screen basically the girl at the register is not involved and never took my card.

TheRift

Expert Member
I remember that from my US trip as well. No cashier. Took the goods to a machine, passed them through the scanners and then completed the transaction by card. Very cool, but very confusing. :)