Toyota corolla 2001 160i overheating

Alexster

My toyota corolla 160i
I start to notice recently when im driving on a free way or any long road my heat gauge rises ,so i drained the water and flushed the radiator and did put in antifreez and water ,so when the car is standing still and Ideling the fan goes on when the heat gauge has reacts the middle but when im driving on a free way or long straight road the heat gauge rises .
The water don't drain also because when I open the radiator cap the water is still at its normal level
I have check for milky stuff in the radiator cap and the engine cap and the dip stick because they say it's signs of head gasket and for boiling water when the radiator cao is off ,bubble by the radiator...nothing like that so i really need help here guys

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Hi.

When last did you do an oil change? If you don't have enough oil in your engine or if the oil hasn't been changed in a while, then it won't do as good a job of lubricating the engine's components. This will cause the engine to heat up more and eventually overheat regardless of the radiator/water.

Engine oil removes from 75 to 80 percent of the "waste heat" in your engine (in addition to doing its other job of cushioning the moving engine parts).

Jaws677

My toyota corolla 160i
I start to notice recently when im driving on a free way or any long road my heat gauge rises ,so i drained the water and flushed the radiator and did put in antifreez and water ,so when the car is standing still and Ideling the fan goes on when the heat gauge has reacts the middle but when im driving on a free way or long straight road the heat gauge rises .
The water don't drain also because when I open the radiator cap the water is still at its normal level
I have check for milky stuff in the radiator cap and the engine cap and the dip stick because they say it's signs of head gasket and for boiling water when the radiator cao is off ,bubble by the radiator...nothing like that so i really need help here guys
Could be air in the cooling system.

How did you refill the system?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Just to make sure - when idling, car temp is fine, but when cruising on the highway, temps rise?

Check your thermostat if that is the case.

Düber

If it is fine in normal traffic and does not overheat when stationary with the fan on, then it is most likely a dirty radiator, either on the outside( goggo's, grass ec. in the cooling fins) or the inside (gunge in the tubes).

The outside you can clean yourself if you are patient, being very careful not to bend or flatten the fins, with a garden hose from the inside out, easier when the radiator is removed.
Quite often it is cheaper and easier to replace the radiator rather than sending it to the radiator people for a clean and repair.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Just to make sure - when idling, car temp is fine, but when cruising on the highway, temps rise?

Check your thermostat if that is the case.
Thermostat and water pump, when at highway speeds any overheating point more to waterflow because there is enough air to cool the radiator.

splattie

My toyota corolla 160i

1. Stuck thermostat
2. Faulty radiator fan switch
3. Possible bad connection somewhere in the circuit

All that being said, I had a similar situation with my Corolla years back. My issue was a blown fuse on the fan circuit. New head gasket and head skim.