Toyota GT86

Saw my first one today in a metallic white colour. Awesome looking car.

PS there's a lot of conflicting info on running in. I've read somewhere hammering the car from new will maximie engine power potential.
 
Saw my first one today in a metallic white colour. Awesome looking car.

PS there's a lot of conflicting info on running in. I've read somewhere hammering the car from new will maximie engine power potential.

I am sure that you have heard that from some idiot who doesn't know a Subaru engine! :rolleyes:
I have spent years working with and owning Subaru's and have yet to come across one that doesn't take kindly to being properly run in.

These motors are built to last a very looooong time, and they do need running in.

Sure you can thrash the thing from day one, but trust me, you WILL pay for it in a shorter engine life.
The JHB - Cape Town run is absolutely ideal as far as running the car in properly - 4500 rpm is way over 160 km/h in top gear any way, so you are still quite capable of "enjoying" yourself if speed is your thing.

All that being said, it is better to rev a new engine than to labour it, so if you have to drop a gear, and go up in revs, it's not a train smash, and far better than hanging on to the higher gear and making the car struggle.
 
The JHB - Cape Town run is absolutely ideal as far as running the car in properly

No. This is definitely not true! Driving a new engine at a static rev range for prolonged periods is not good for the run-in procedure. The whole idea of running a motor in is that revs need to rise and fall, to smooth out any manufacturing kinks on the internal components. That's why you usually find quite a bit of metal shavings on your first oil change. Static RPM = static temperature = bad. The motor (and other components like the gearbox) needs to warm up and cool down a few times so expansion and contraction can take place.

You're more than welcome to disagree, but as far as I know, this is what run-in actually means.
 
No. This is definitely not true! Driving a new engine at a static rev range for prolonged periods is not good for the run-in procedure. The whole idea of running a motor in is that revs need to rise and fall, to smooth out any manufacturing kinks on the internal components. That's why you usually find quite a bit of metal shavings on your first oil change. Static RPM = static temperature = bad. The motor (and other components like the gearbox) needs to warm up and cool down a few times so expansion and contraction can take place.

You're more than welcome to disagree, but as far as I know, this is what run-in actually means.

You bet I'll disagree.

A long run is ideal for running a car in, your speed is NOT static at all - varying road conditions will result in all sorts of speeds and conditions. Yes, you will spend long spells in top gear, but that will not affect the box at all.

Your comment about iron filings was certainly true about engines built prior to about 1980, to the extent that some cars (BMC) had a magnet on their oil plug to suck up the filings. This is the 21st Century now, and that is no longer the case.

Static rpm doesn't even vaguely come into it, as variations in road see to the revs changing very frequently - and where on earth did you get that there was a problem with a static temperature?? Why do you think that cars have thermostats? The quicker an engine gets to operating temperature AND STAYS there, the better. You possibly read about the million km Polo last week - that car has lasted so long, PRECISELY because of long runs its entire life.

Expansion and contraction will certainly take place with temperature variation, but it is at that time that the engine undergoes its worst period of wear. Case in point "The little old lady's car" which is historically one of the worst buys you can make, second hand. That engine has done nothing but go through periods of expansion and contraction all its life, and has suffered as a result.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are totally incorrect, oh, and please, if you don't believe me, please run your "argument" past the technical department at Subaru, and they will underline what I say about Subaru engines. We have been "running in" their media cars for them for years, and you know how we do it? With long, long runs for at least 2000 km.
 
Last edited:
okay but that doesnt answer my question. When do i get my car ?
 
Don't forget to keep her under 4500 for the first 1600 km - the Subaru engine will love you for running it in properly. Also don't expect great performance for the first 4 to 5000 kilometers - the car will then reward you with decent consumption and performance!

Enjoy!! :D

that's torture :)
 
I just heard in our tea-room one of my colleagues is getting his tomorrow. He is like a child getting his first bicycle!
 
I just heard in our tea-room one of my colleagues is getting his tomorrow. He is like a child getting his first bicycle!
is it the high spec one? I've ordered mine but no word yet on delivery date.
 
is THAT still going on?

Yup.I like the idea of the car.But a 2L is fit for a family sedan....A true sports car must have more brute power.I dont care if its a turbo or supercharger.But at least something.
 
there are so many alternatives if you want a turbo or more power..
personally i appreciate the minimalistic back to basics approach. and have you driven one? it doesn't feel slow and it's something you can enjoy without feeling you have a mad pitbul on a leash
 
there are so many alternatives if you want a turbo or more power..
personally i appreciate the minimalistic back to basics approach. and have you driven one? it doesn't feel slow and it's something you can enjoy without feeling you have a mad pitbul on a leash

I have a 200KW 4agze,hav driven 3sgte,7mgte.maybe im misunderstood or something.I dont want to roll up the tar everywhere i go.What think a sportscar should be is freedom.to push it to the limit and know that you can fail at any moment.and if you do have a car that wil rectify the recless situation that the pumped up junky driver foced the car into.Maybe a sports button for the supercharger clutch engage.just something.It is not meant to be driven every day.its a lady thats kept in the dark.like a wild stalion that has to be kept muffled.Thats my ideal sportscar.
 
Fazda: I stand corrected, if that holds true. I guess I'm just a bit old-school when it comes to engines. Perhaps car engines are also very different from bike engines, where most of my experience lies.
 
Fazda: I stand corrected, if that holds true. I guess I'm just a bit old-school when it comes to engines. Perhaps car engines are also very different from bike engines, where most of my experience lies.

Thanks, yes, very different.

I'm willing to put my head on a block on this advice - it's tried and tested on Subaru engines - stick to it and you won't go wrong.
 
Fazda.How is the sales coming on?have you found any problems or issues on the car yet?Dont be afraid or shy to name them.Nothing is perfect it is how the problem is handled thats important
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X