TP link extender refusing password from and not connecting to Macbook?

LSC

We are all set up and configured with the main router which is also TP, and now have the Tp ink extender 850. The extender connects all our other devices, including android, phones, laptops, computers, windows and MacBooks etc. Just the 1 macbook pro running yosemite is not connecting. It finds the extender and requests password which I enter, however it tells me the password is incorrect. ALL the other devices have the same correct password. This one is being refused. I've updated everything, disconnected, reconfigured etc etc. Same "wrong password" message... Any bypass or alternative setting suggestions to connect this Macbook to the extender?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Running both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on a single SSID? Try splitting them to test again.

Channel 13 by any chance?

Try to skip all things automatic and use manual settings. Channels, security etc.

WPA2 and AES, Channels 1-11 only on 2.4ghz.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSC

LSC

Make sure your country is set to South Africa in your wireless settings. Aswell as your NTP needs to be correct
thanks the telephone support folks went through all the TP setting with me so all good there

LSC

Running both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on a single SSID? Try splitting them to test again.

Try to skip all things automatic and use manual settings. Channels, security etc.

Thanks - sounds a bit techy for me.... would I need to log into the configuration settings again and reset those? Or just buy a different repeater that will automatically allow all devices to easily connect? Which do you recommend under R500??

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks - sounds a bit techy for me.... would I need to log into the configuration settings again and reset those? Or just buy a different repeater that will automatically allow all devices to easily connect? Which do you recommend under R500??
Login and fix the problem.

Buying another one isn’t a solution.

Repeaters in fact should be avoided at all costs.

maxxis

Had this problem before between a MacBook and Netgear router. Switched to a Dlink. Problem didn’t go away.

WPA2 PSK password required?

Try to first forget the network and reconnect to it.

Then open System Preferences / Network / WIFI / Advanced / TCP/IP and then click the Renew DHCP Lease.

Nuro

Expert Member
At one stage we had a strange case where Apple hardware did not like a special character in the password. Windows/Android/Linux worked just fine. Try letters and numbers only, but this was a couple of years ago.

LSC

both router and extender are 2.4Ghz

LSC

Hi where do I check these channel numbers?

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
WiFi Extenders are like pineapple on a pizza....
Avoid unless you have a thick skin!!!!