Tracing an abusive WhatsApp

Desig

With the recent Act signed, wouldn't it be easier to trace abusive messages?

To what level can they trace? The number is RICAd to some non existent person!

You could easily buy a rica'd sim for only a few rands. The whole rica thing is a total farce.

Then there is also the popi act. Not sure if fully implemented yet.

I know it can be frustrating. The only time it can be traced is if it is a contract phone and you have enough info to take to the cops that is interesting enough to get them to open a case. And even then chances of finding out who is less than 10%.

Anything else and you're s#it out of luck.

I know it can be frustrating. The only time it can be traced is if it is a contract phone and you have enough info to take to the cops that is interesting enough to get them to open a case. And even then chances of finding out who is less than 10%.

Anything else and you're s#it out of luck.

You could easily buy a rica'd sim for only a few rands. The whole rica thing is a total farce.

Then there is also the popi act. Not sure if fully implemented yet.
This. Last time I needed a sim I just walked into the local cafe and bought one. No rica needed.

But can't the WhatsApp at least be traced to a device ID? And then I'm hoping that it's a contract device and.. gotcha

No. Block it and move on?

And keep an eye on number on truecaller website using a secondary gmail account in case person starts using it properly or has done.

Last edited:
OP is still wet behind the ears.

bet he’s a Fornite kid talking foul to some other Fortniter (girl perhaps?) and now the brother is giving it to him.

Cause it wants you to sign in with something, fine, use a Microsoft account.

View attachment 1547891
Hmm I have Truecaller and don't remember having to do this?

So let's say the abusive stalker guy uses Truecaller and signs in with their Gmail.

We still wouldn't be able to see this?

Doesn't it upload all your contacts to their servers? And shows his name as whatever most people have it saved as?

Wife (72) received really appalling, vulgar and abusive messages, seemed to be aimed at someone she has not heard of (wrong name). Blocking the number stopped the messages for about 3 or 4 days. Two changes of number stopped it

She seldom uses her phone nowadays, the experience put her right off

Hmm I have Truecaller and don't remember having to do this?

So let's say the abusive stalker guy uses Truecaller and signs in with their Gmail.

We still wouldn't be able to see this?

Doesn't it upload all your contacts to their servers? And shows his name as whatever most people have it saved as?

The gmail sign in was for the OP, not the problem person. That's why I say one uses an alternate gmail account on an alternate browser to sign in, an account without contacts so you not uploading anything. Then one can try to look up the abusive number used to send the WA, and if there is a name, maybe recognise who it is.

I am all ears for a better suggestion with a chance of success.

EDIT: If you have the app it's probably signed in with your gmail automatically and uploaded your contacts. You will encounter that screen if you try to search a number on a browser.

Back