Transunion is terrible.

Mars

Honorary Master
So every time I do anything with Vodacom I get a slew of fraudulent applications for credit in my name.

I work through the crap every time and deal with all the crap and disputes.

Last year when it happened I checked all my information with Transunion and made sure everything is correct.

Today I go and check my details and the information is WRONG again. They have changed all my details to that of the last fraudulent application (again).
I phone them to try and figure out why they would use that information if it is clearly incorrect and all they can do is try and sell me another something for about R800 a year that will "protect my ID on the dark web and is also insurance in case I am a victim of fraud" :/

As for changing the information I have to go and log a dispute on the website for each item. One for the home number, one for the work number, one for the address.

The history for my address is all the addresses from the fraudulent applications.

WTF Do they really take ANY information submitted to them via a credit app and just assume its true without verification?

/rant

Edit, they have now sent me a payment request for the fsking thing I said I did not want.

biometrics

Honorary Master
The information on file is usually so bad I don't even bother correcting it. The only accurate stuff is legal and accounts. The addresses and jobs are messed up.

I get loans no problem so not my problem to fix it.

Mars

Honorary Master
So no blame to Vodacom?

Naw, I've beaten that horse already last year when it happened, and to be fair I dont have any actual proof that its VC, other than the timing and the fact that I have few other accounts.

Mars

Honorary Master
The information on file is usually so bad I don't even bother correcting it. The only accurate stuff is legal and accounts. The addresses and jobs are messed up.

I get loans no problem so not my problem to fix it.
I'm not too worried about getting loans, I'm more worried about them managing to get one of these fraudulent applications through because they've fsked up the information so bad.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Ya - their data capturing is beyond crap - I've been just about everything under the sun, including owner of an over billion rand company.

Also their dispute process is useless - had to log multiple disputes against MTN and DSTV for listing me as an active client, with an open account for years after I'd moved on.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I'm not too worried about getting loans, I'm more worried about them managing to get one of these fraudulent applications through because they've fsked up the information so bad.
Considering how bad my data is, I doubt anything other than legal notices and the score is used for anything. So I can't see how anyone would get a loan (or open an account) in your name based on the info at Transunion. Why do you think it's possible?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Having the same problem, correcting the personal information is proving near impossible, I have tried three times already, after waiting for 22 days for them to resolve it comes back the same, I just don't have the energy anymore. It is a problem when you have to call the bank to resolve something, they base their security questions from Transunion credit report.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Mind the clothing stores, they make it super easy for the fraudsters.

Milano

Honorary Master
These credit bureaus have way too much power when one considers their level of incompetence. Apparently nobody governs them in that there is no ombudsmen overseeing their performance which is odd considering their power.

Mars

Honorary Master
Considering how bad my data is, I doubt anything other than legal notices and the score is used for anything. So I can't see how anyone would get a loan (or open an account) in your name based on the info at Transunion. Why do you think it's possible?

The last two times I have had this happen the companies in question ( the first time was British Airways personal loans, and the second one was Woolworths personal loans) have both contacted me via my phone number listed on the trans union credit report to confirm.
If that number is that of the fraudsters or they cannot get hold of me there is no reason why they would not approve the loans. I have a pretty decent credit score which is why I think they target me. Both times the loan amount was above R200k.

That was besides the normal accounts they tried to open that I had to contact to make sure they didnt allow it. RCS had already approved the account when I called them ( and they where solidly confused when I asked for their fraud department :oops:)

biometrics

Honorary Master
Serious, at least from Standard Bank, I don't know about the other banks.
I've had that Standard Bank verification for a home load and/or credit card. Though I failed the first attempt. There were even questions related to a CC from 25 years ago.

biometrics

Honorary Master
The last two times I have had this happen the companies in question ( the first time was British Airways personal loans, and the second one was Woolworths personal loans) have both contacted me via my phone number listed on the trans union credit report to confirm.
If that number is that of the fraudsters or they cannot get hold of me there is no reason why they would not approve the loans. I have a pretty decent credit score which is why I think they target me. Both times the loan amount was above R200k.
My score is near maximum, so I don't think it's that.

Maybe it's something like your name they feel they can fake?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
These credit bureaus have way too much power when one considers their level of incompetence. Apparently nobody governs them in that there is no ombudsmen overseeing their performance which is odd considering their power.

They fall under the credit ombud.

Milano

Honorary Master
They fall under the credit ombud.

That is right they do to some extent but their jurisdiction is limited. Their response was as follows: "We advise that the jurisdiction of the Credit Ombud relates specifically to issues relating to matters where you are negatively impacted by credit bureau information and/ or to issues relating to non- bank credit transactions pursuant to the requirements of the National Credit Act and the relevant Codes applicable thereto. You may have a complaint about a credit provider who entered into a credit agreement (non-bank credit agreements are cash loans from micro-lenders, clothing and/ or furniture purchased on credit and certain motor insurance agreements) with you. The complaint may relate to a wide range of issues, such as incorrect balance, incorrect interest or fees being charged, issues relating to the collection of an outstanding debt. Accordingly, it would seem that your complaint may not have fallen within the ambit of the Credit Ombud jurisdiction"