Turning Eskom around

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think there is some misunderstanding we need to clear up, my understanding is that by saying Eskom supplied half of Africa's electricity they do not mean Eskom supplied half of Africa with electricity, seems like some people have a different understanding of this.

Even today Eskom still produces about 40% of Africa's capacity, it still does not mean we are supplying 40% of Africa with electricity, it just means we are way more advanced than most countries in Africa, same way we were in 1990 when we produced 50% of the continents electricity.

Let's have a meaningful discussion on this and hear other views.

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
Half the countries never had electricity supply! That is the point. Claiming Eskom supplied half the continent when it only supplied a very small minority of the population is not the same thing. No Zuma maths from me.
My bad, I thought you had poor grasp of stats, now I see it was a poor grasp of logic all along..

Like the proverb say, the reason Eskom was king, was because it had one eye, while the rest was blind.

grok

Honorary Master
I think there is some misunderstanding we need to clear up, my understanding is that by saying Eskom supplied half of Africa's electricity they do not mean Eskom supplied half of Africa with electricity, seems like some people have a different understanding of this.

Even today Eskom still produces about 40% of Africa's capacity.l, it still does not mean we are supplying 40% of Africa with electricity, it just means we are way more advanced than most countries in Africa, same way we were in 1990 when we produced 50% of the continents electricity.

Let's have a meaningful discussion on this and hear other views.

I am surprised there could exist any other interpretation, ie. you'd have to be pretty ignorant to believe it isn't about our capacity expressed as a percentage of the whole continent's.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
I am surprised there could exist any other interpretation. You'd have to be pretty ignorant to believe it isn't about our capacity expressed as a percentage of the whole continent's.
Don't tell that to me, tell the ignorant ones who are saying Eskom supplied half of the continent's countries with power.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Stop using bath salts, seriously. Eskom was the main power supplier for the African continent pre-94. If you cant understand what that means then perhaps you should not even comment on this.

You are aware that the majority of African countries pre-94 were run by black governments already and had majority if not entirely black populations who utilized the electricity fed to their country by Eskom ?

I cry a tear for SA knowing someone with your fiction-based mindset is allowed to vote.
@grok, here's your guy.

grok

Honorary Master
Don't tell that to me, tell the ignorant ones who are saying Eskom supplied half of the continent's countries with power.

It was the proverbial you, I did not mean to imply that you specifically are ignorant.

D tj

Expert Member
People complain about the quality of the current education, let their "earlier better" education shows a 0 % pass in comprehension!:crying: Eish!

Note also the lowest cost producer in the world. This may have been due to not having to meet Euro or USA emission standards though.
Certainly did not have the corruption / theft type of problems.

ConfusedR

Are you saing that eskom was great when it were managed by the NP/Whitehams

Read the article again and let it sink in.

The ANC has destroyed every SOE.
SAA....bankrupt
SABC....bankrupt
Denel....bankrupt
Post Office....bankrupt
Transnet....bankrupt
Eskom....bankrupt...........even with over 400%(yes, that is correct) tariff increases, they cannot keep the lights on
etc.

They keep running to parliament for bailout money.
Our tax money which could have been used to build proper toilets at schools.......that is only 1 of many ways of how they can use our tax money more efficiently but no, they need to make the ANC cadres rich through corruption.

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
Read the article again and let it sink in.

The ANC has destroyed every SOE.
SAA....bankrupt
SABC....bankrupt
Denel....bankrupt
Post Office....bankrupt
Transnet....bankrupt
Eskom....bankrupt...........even with over 400%(yes, that is correct) tariff increases, they cannot keep the lights on
etc.

They keep running to parliament for bailout money.
Our tax money which could have been used to build proper toilets at schools.......that is only 1 of many ways of how they can use our tax money more efficiently but no, they need to make the ANC cadres rich through corruption.
That's the point the apologists are missing. They were so good that they generated 50% of Africa's capacity, at the lowest price <Jeremy Clarkson voice>.. in the world.
Double whammy for the ANC's version.. of everything! But they complain about being left behind, and not able to escape poverty. Can't you see why?

Hellhound105

Executive Member
BS. You might have had power disconnections due to utility bills not being paid which was common place dating back pre94 but actual load shedding / outages was not the issue. Shutting off electricity for non payment is what Eskom should have done post-94 but for conveniently they just didn't do it until municipality debt grew to billions today.

Tell me another made up story, I am enjoying your fiction.

Came here to say that. Sy papa het nie die krag betaal nie, nou glo hy SA het beurtkrag gehad