• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

TV remotes for old people

Dodger67

I volunteer at a home for the aged. Every single time I get there I am inundated with requests to "fix" umpteen TVs. Invariably what has happened is that the old dears have managed to change the input selection away from the correct hdmi or av ports for their decoder connection.
I wish there are tv remotes that have ONLY ONE BUTTON! for on/off and f%&k-all else, specially for the old fogies who have no idea why they suddenly can't watch 7de Laan.
Quite frankly why do TVs these days even have "channels" at all?
All functions, even adjusting the volume, are available on the decoder, so really besides on/off all the tv itself actually needs is an input selector - which for old fogies should be locked away in the back of the top shelf of the tallest closet.

maumau

Honorary Master
A million times this.

When the channel is lost there's no way of fixing it over the phone. Someone has to go there to see what button has been changed.

ThatOtherDude

ha, so do I.

I'm guessing it's the same as other multi-remotes.
point them nose to nose and they "learn/copy" the incoming IR signal.

isie

Executive Member
I volunteer at a home for the aged. Every single time I get there I am inundated with requests to "fix" umpteen TVs. Invariably what has happened is that the old dears have managed to change the input selection away from the correct hdmi or av ports for their decoder connection.
I wish there are tv remotes that have ONLY ONE BUTTON! for on/off and f%&k-all else, specially for the old fogies who have no idea why they suddenly can't watch 7de Laan.
Quite frankly why do TVs these days even have "channels" at all?
All functions, even adjusting the volume, are available on the decoder, so really besides on/off all the tv itself actually needs is an input selector - which for old fogies should be locked away in the back of the top shelf of the tallest closet.
why not hide the TV remote away?
make them switch it on or off at the tv

sandwitch

If you know someone who's into 3D printing & circuit boards you can print a remote with about 4 large large buttons. I don't know what material you'd use for the buttons though.

I think there's a market for it actually because as you get older you don't have the motor control to accurately press the remote's tiny buttons. It must be kind of embarrassing: technology has changed so fast so chances are they don't know how to use it nor do they have the control to accurately press they button they want. It must feel like you're a child again. And if you're an older person who has recently broken an arm/wrist your motor control is more limited.

Otherwise a simple remote: learningremote01.jpg Aliexpress Link Remote 1

learningremote02.jpg Alexpress Link 2

chrisc

Executive Member
I McGyvered the remote so only the on/off and volume buttons operate, by cutting off the carbon dots from under the rubber buttons

Have sorted at least 20 remotes like that for two local retirement/nursing homes. The staff are thrilled, they can do proper work instead of fiddling with peoples TVs. Now no more TV jobs, just fix their wheelchairs, hearing aids or read to them. I take my small dog (pic on left) and she is a real hit, the folks like to stroke her

Cost was nothing. I can do it in under 2 mins now. 20 seconds to separate the case and 30 seconds with wire-cutters to snip off the dots, put it together and test

A local Chinese shop sells a "learning" remote for R35,00 and this is easily configurable. You only learn the commands you want

Dodger67

I McGyvered the remote so only the on/off and volume buttons operate, by cutting off the carbon dots from under the rubber buttons

Have sorted at least 20 remotes like that for two local retirement/nursing homes. The staff are thrilled, they can do proper work instead of fiddling with peoples TVs. Now no more TV jobs, just fix their wheelchairs, hearing aids or read to them. I take my small dog (pic on left) and she is a real hit, the folks like to stroke her

Cost was nothing. I can do it in under 2 mins now. 20 seconds to separate the case and 30 seconds with wire-cutters to snip off the dots, put it together and test

A local Chinese shop sells a "learning" remote for R35,00 and this is easily configurable. You only learn the commands you want
Permanently damaging the remote is bad, it becomes useless to anyone else. At the home where I volunteer, after grandma departs the tv often ends up going to a grandchild.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Permanently damaging the remote is bad, it becomes useless to anyone else. At the home where I volunteer, after grandma departs the tv often ends up going to a grandchild.
Not a problem if you’re doing it on a simple remote. The staff can keep the proper one safely tucked away.