twitch streaming help please

nelis

Expert Member
Hi there

I'm thinking of start streaming to twitch, youtube etc. The problem is my quality to twtich at least is so bad with this test i get anything between 1000kb/s - 3000kb/s. I tried streaming to twitch but it looked liek frame drops. i have the following setup

i7-4790k
980ti
pg279q
2x hdd and 3xssd (one for OS)
16GB ddr3 2400mhz
etc

Streaming pc

i7-3770k @ stock
SSD for OS
HDD

Using NDI to stream from gaming pc to streaming pc

My internet line speed is 20mb/10mb openserve/Telkom I also tried coolideas as my isp and still doesn't work. i use obs streamlabs but also tried normal OBS and still doesn't work. I have the following settings in my obs

1565942737651.png

1565942749968.png
Now I've tried the following youtube guide but it doesn't work for me

Just to add the cpu is hardly being used on the streaming pc so can't be the the cpu can't handle the encoding.

HeroNextDoor

Restream sorted out my problems when I tried streaming to twitch with my 40/10 VDSL connection.

https://restream.io/

I haven't tried the CISP relay back then but restream sorted me right out so I didn't have a need to switch. That said I haven't used them in over a year so things might differ a bit now.

DYreX146

I use the new gpu encoding on OBS on a GTX 1080 and the Cool Ideas relay server and I can stream to Twitch at 6000 bitrate with no problem.

However the only time I get frame drops is when I stop using the relay server.

Are you sure there is no packet loss on your line?

nelis

Expert Member
Right, photo didnt load first time :)

What results do you get from the twitch testing tool? Also which router are you using?
From the testing tool getting anything between 2000kb/s - 3000kbp/s. Will post a picture with results

sometimes it's slow sometimes it's fast. sometimes i get 2000kb/s and sometimes I get 6000kb/s+. From my work line (neotel 20mb/20mb neobroadband) I get full 10000kb/s+ to all servers all the time

I use the new gpu encoding on OBS on a GTX 1080 and the Cool Ideas relay server and I can stream to Twitch at 6000 bitrate with no problem.

yes not packet loss on my line. tested winmtr etc.

Last edited:

DYreX146

Did you try do the stream test on your main PC instead of your streaming PC?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Which region are you in?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
From the testing tool getting anything between 2000kb/s - 3000kbp/s. Will post a picture with results

sometimes it's slow sometimes it's fast. sometimes i get 2000kb/s and sometimes I get 6000kb/s+. From my work line (neotel 20mb/20mb neobroadband) I get full 10000kb/s+ to all servers all the time

yes not packet loss on my line. tested winmtr etc.
Which region are you in?

agentrfr

Expert Member
Unless you are a twitch partner, accounts are limited to 2500 kbps upload total

Try encode 720p CBR 2000 kbps and audio at 192 kbps. That 300 kbps buffer should keep you happy.

x264 medium, high profile, no tune if you are encoding with CPU. NVEnc(new) with Max Quality, High Profile motion search and psycho visual q-adapt set to true.

Also set keyframes to every 2 seconds and max B-frames to 2.

DYreX146

Unless you are a twitch partner, accounts are limited to 2500 kbps upload total

Try encode 720p CBR 2000 kbps and audio at 192 kbps. That 300 kbps buffer should keep you happy.

x264 medium, high profile, no tune if you are encoding with CPU. NVEnc(new) with Max Quality, High Profile motion search and psycho visual q-adapt set to true.

Also set keyframes to every 2 seconds and max B-frames to 2.
If you are not a Twitch partner you can stream at up to 6000 kbps, if you are a Twitch partner you can negotiate with Twitch to stream at 8000 kbps (I am talking about partner not affiliate).

Also the max audio bitrate you can use is 160 kbps.

Jerricko

I thought that the FPB bill made twitch streaming illegal unless you are registered with them?

hazey

Remember your 20mb download speed makes no difference. Since your 10mb upload is the make-or-break factor i would say monitor that for like an hour at max speed. Check the average, and let's say it's 7mb then take about 30%-50% away for online gaming etc. which leaves you with about 4mb. And since your line is volatile just stream with 3000kbps instead of 4000kbps. I know you said that is what you used, but this is and example. Your average could be lower and thus your streaming rate should be lower too. Personally I think your 3500kbps is a bit too much, so check the average first, you can seed a torrent for an hour or two and a decent client will give detailed information regarding speeds. Remember, viewers don't always have a fast enough connection to watch high quality streams, so this could be a viewer magnet as well. People will enjoy a 720p30fps without buffering much more than 1080p60fps with constant buffering.

Internet out of the way, make sure to change that encoder from x264 to NVENC. I could go into detail why, but there are many youtubers who go into detail regarding this debate. I recommend watching EposVox. It utilises your hardware more efficiently than x264, meaning you can get better game performance. I think your CPU is also getting overloaded with the faster setting so please monitor that, or better just switch to NVENC as I said.

I am open for any further support. I have some technical experience regarding streaming, so fell free to ask away.

nelis

Expert Member
Remember your 20mb download speed makes no difference. Since your 10mb upload is the make-or-break factor i would say monitor that for like an hour at max speed. Check the average, and let's say it's 7mb then take about 30%-50% away for online gaming etc. which leaves you with about 4mb. And since your line is volatile just stream with 3000kbps instead of 4000kbps. I know you said that is what you used, but this is and example. Your average could be lower and thus your streaming rate should be lower too. Personally I think your 3500kbps is a bit too much, so check the average first, you can seed a torrent for an hour or two and a decent client will give detailed information regarding speeds. Remember, viewers don't always have a fast enough connection to watch high quality streams, so this could be a viewer magnet as well. People will enjoy a 720p30fps without buffering much more than 1080p60fps with constant buffering.

Internet out of the way, make sure to change that encoder from x264 to NVENC. I could go into detail why, but there are many youtubers who go into detail regarding this debate. I recommend watching EposVox. It utilises your hardware more efficiently than x264, meaning you can get better game performance. I think your CPU is also getting overloaded with the faster setting so please monitor that, or better just switch to NVENC as I said.

I am open for any further support. I have some technical experience regarding streaming, so fell free to ask away.
I know I can't max my upload speed otherwise my ping in games will suffer

I'm doing dual pc stream will that not be better . Will watch EposVox video on this. Remember i'm still on 980ti so the nvenc quality is not as good as a Nvidia Pascal and Turing GPU. I think my CPU is still good for what I want to do but think my gpu is being utilized so much that it has no leftover budged to stream to the other pc. Will try your suggestion and see how it goes.

I watched Coalition Gaming's video and they say to do 720p 60fps max to pixelation in the stream and make everything look clean. My issue is that I can't even max out my line speed when doing nothing but the twitch test and if I can at least max my upload speed to twitch and also get good quality to twitch servers then at least I know my internet will not be the limiting factor.

Update: Ok watched EposVox's video regarding nvenc (new). Will test that out to see if it's better for me. Trial and error I guess. Didn't had time this weekend to test this out.

Last edited: