Two Major Dams near completion

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The De Hoop Dam in Limpopo is close to completion and water is now flowing into the impoundment, Water Affairs Minister Edna Molewa said on Tuesday.

"The dam is currently 17 percent full, with approximately 58.6 million cubic metres of water stored," she told reporters at Parliament, ahead of debate in the National Assembly on her department's 2013/14 budget.

The De Hoop Dam, part of the Olifants River Water Resources Development Project, will supply water mainly to the mining industry in the Steelpoort area.

Molewa said work on the first pipeline connecting the water treatment works at Steelpoort to the dam had started, "and is expected to be complete by September next year".

By July this year, certain areas around the town of Jane Furse would start to receive water from the dam.

"The pipeline to Sekuruwe in the Waterberg, and Pruissen in the Capricorn area, is also planned to start this year."

The project, which had cost government more than R4.5 billion, would benefit more than two million people in the Sekhukhune, Capricorn, and Waterberg areas, she said.

Significant progress had also been made on the Spring Grove Dam in KwaZulu-Natal.

"The first water storage... commenced in March this year," Molewa said.

Responding to a question, she said work on raising the wall of the Clanwilliam Dam in the Western Cape, which was delayed for a year, would start in August.

"We are on course; construction will start some time around August this year," she said, adding that work on changing the course of the N7 national road was currently underway.

Source : Sapa /rod/hdw/dd/jk
Date : 21 May 2013 12:42

grok

Honorary Master
The project, which had cost government more than R4.5 billion, would benefit more than two million people in the Sekhukhune, Capricorn, and Waterberg areas, she said.
No Edna, it cost us taxpayers R4.5 billion.

Public money doesn't 'belong to' government even though they'd like to think it does.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Responding to a question, she said work on raising the wall of the Clanwilliam Dam in the Western Cape, which was delayed for a year, would start in August.

"We are on course; construction will start some time around August this year," she said, adding that work on changing the course of the N7 national road was currently underway.

Source : Sapa /rod/hdw/dd/jk
Date : 21 May 2013 12:42
I was completely shocked to see how empty Canwilliam dam was in April when driving past there. I have never seen that dam so emply in my life. If I remember correctly the board on the highway said 18% full. I thought we were gonna get to Vredendal and the town would be dry ... but they seemed oblivious to the fact that the dam was so low.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I was completely shocked to see how empty Canwilliam dam was in April when driving past there. I have never seen that dam so emply in my life. If I remember correctly the board on the highway said 18% full. I thought we were gonna get to Vredendal and the town would be dry ... but they seemed oblivious to the fact that the dam was so low.
So how is raising the wall going to help if there is not enough water?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So how is raising the wall going to help if there is not enough water?
Well...I assume by raising the wall....the damn will be able to hold more water to begin with...therefore it will take longer to get this empty. The dam is fed by run off from the mountains and the river that feeds it. The dam gets most of its water during winter from rainfall and also snow etc from the mountains around the Cape area I think. During summer the dam then gets almost no water....so hopefully by making its capacity bigger...the dam will stay full for longer and take longer to get to such a low level like 18%.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Well...I assume by raising the wall....the damn will be able to hold more water to begin with...therefore it will take longer to get this empty. The dam is fed by run off from the mountains and the river that feeds it. The dam gets most of its water during winter from rainfall and also snow etc from the mountains around the Cape area I think. During summer the dam then gets almost no water....so hopefully by making its capacity bigger...the dam will stay full for longer and take longer to get to such a low level like 18%.
Ahh, makes sense!

Cool E

Expert Member
What happened to Nandoni Dam? Does she really cares of Vhembe people?

So wish DA can come to Vhembe district and take over.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
OH...just further...so in winter when the dam gets too full and them having to open the sleuces, now the damn will be able to take much more water instead of opening the gates and that water running down the river.

Thingyyyyyy

Expert Member
No!! I like the idea of making it and putting it onto a tender.

What is feeding the dam? And why was it so empty when you saw it?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No!! I like the idea of making it and putting it onto a tender.

What is feeding the dam? And why was it so empty when you saw it?
The damn is located in a arid area...and summer is incredibly hot. Dont know about Clanwilliam...but Vredendal which is not that far from Clanwilliam my grandfather have on a few occasions recorded 40 - 45 degrees in the shade. That is why I refuse to go visit my mom there for Xmas. You can litterely feel heat radiating out of the walls at night. Horrible.

Anyway...so the damn only gets fed during winter when it rains and or snows in the Cape area where the river runs from I think.

Thingyyyyyy

Expert Member
The damn is located in a arid area...and summer is incredibly hot. Dont know about Clanwilliam...but Vredendal which is not that far from Clanwilliam my grandfather have on a few occasions recorded 40 - 45 degrees in the shade. That is why I refuse to go visit my mom there for Xmas. You can litterely feel heat radiating out of the walls at night. Horrible.

Anyway...so the damn only gets fed during winter when it rains and or snows in the Cape area where the river runs from I think.
thanx. :) As long as it has a big catching area.