Ubiquiti Ap's for Home network

zubs07

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Fibre connection and using a Tp Link Wireless router. I need to extend the wifi signal into the adjoining outbuilding, as the current wifi signal isn't strong enough to cover the entire outbuilding. I have been looking at the Ubiquiti UniFi products (AC Lite, Long Range, Pro) as i will be able to run a network cable to the outbuilding where i can install the Ap but am unsure as to which UniFi product to get. As power will be an issue at the mounting point for the ap i would like to power it via poe, I'd assume i would have to get a 4 port poe switch compatible with Ubiquiti Unifi product. What would be a suitable switch for this?

Your recommendations would be gladly appreciated

irBosOtter

Expert Member
The AP's come with a POE injector so no need for a POE switch. Go for the one you can afford.

UAP-AC-LITE
UAP-AC-LR
If you want Wave 2 then this one UAP-AC-NHD

How long will the cable be that will run to the AP?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The AC-lite is generally more than enough for home use, I have them at home and they are awesome.
I have one in the main house and another in the flat with a network cable connecting it to the main building.
They all come with the PoE injector unless its the bulk back in which case they dont have the injectors.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I have a full Ubiquiti setup at home, done about as cheaply as possible. It works great.

You don't need a PoE switch unless you're wiring up a bunch of APs or cameras.

I have this cheapo Gigabit TP-Link 8 port switch (R344):

I highly recommend the UniFi Security Gateway for a router (R2127):

It gives great stats and monitoring, and obviously plays nice with all the other UniFi gear. There is a newer more expensive version - not sure the benefits of it.

The UniFi Cloud Key Controller eliminates the need to have the software on any PC, and ensures data is permanently being gathered (R1552)

Don't buy 2.4GHz-only APs. Not sure how good the Lite models are, but the AC Long Range AP is R1954 each:

If you buy individual APs they include a PoE injector in the box. I use three of them no trouble with the above switch.

The stuff above is pricey but still cheaper than a decent PoE switch. And it's a really, really nice setup.

Uniterm Direct were way cheaper than any other option when I ordered my stuff. I used their site as I assume it's still the case.

Oh, and use shielded, UV-resistant cabling. I have two long lines of cables exposed to the sun and they are hunky-dory all these years later. I bought a 350m spool from Uniterm as well, along with the requisite cutting, crimping and testing tools.

zubs07

The AP's come with a POE injector so no need for a POE switch. Go for the one you can afford.

UAP-AC-LITE
UAP-AC-LR
If you want Wave 2 then this one UAP-AC-NHD

How long will the cable be that will run to the AP?
Thanks. The cable would be 20m. I was thinking of using a cat6 Shielded cable. As they come with an injector i would basically connect my router to the injector via a patch cable and then connect the 20m cable from the injector to the AP?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Thanks. The cable would be 20m. I was thinking of using a cat6 Shielded cable. As they come with an injector i would basically connect my router to the injector via a patch cable and then connect the 20m cable from the injector to the AP?
Yes, patch cable to injector from router, and longer cable from injector to AP :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: