Ubuntu-based Linux Lite 5.0 'Emerald' is here to replace Microsoft Windows on your PC

Hephaestus

Forging
Windows 7 and Windows 10 aren't bad operating systems. In fact, they are both quite good. With that said, the newest version of Windows 10 has many bugs. Unfortunately, since Windows 7 is no longer supported, some of its users are stuck in a conundrum. They have to decide whether to use an unsupported Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10 that is full of telemetry and other "spying" that passes their information to Microsoft's servers.

Thankfully, there is another option -- switch to Linux. Yes, modern Linux-based operating systems will be supported (unlike the now-obsolete Windows 7) and most will run great on aging hardware (unlike Windows 10). Linux Lite is one of the best Linux distributions for Windows-switchers, as it is lightweight, modern, and familiar.

Today, Linux Lite 5.0 "Emerald" becomes available, and it is based on the bleeding-edge Ubuntu 20.04. It even comes with modern software, such as Linux kernel 5.4.0-33, LibreOffice 6.4.3.2, Gimp 2.10.18, Thunderbird 68.8.0, Firefox 76.0.1, and VLC 3.0.9.2.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Thankfully, there is another option -- switch to Linux. Yes, modern Linux-based operating systems will be supported (unlike the now-obsolete Windows 7) and most will run great on aging hardware (unlike Windows 10).
from here:
There will be no 32bit ISO from Series 4.x onwards. If you still need to run a 32bit operating system, our Series 3.x is supported until April, 2021. Download it from here.
So much for running on aging hardware :ROFL:

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Many so-called lightweight distros are now 64-bit only, the people that really need lightweight are 32-bit owners.

There's always debian...
Or Arch, if you are in the mood to build out your OS....though Arch with awesome-wm is great. Colleague of mine has a jol not using a mouse.

ponder

Honorary Master
Or Arch, if you are in the mood to build out your OS....though Arch with awesome-wm is great. Colleague of mine has a jol not using a mouse.
Arch is officially 64bit only, 32bit died in 2017.

archlinux32.org is a different community derived fork.

It's still my favourite distro though.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Arch is officially 64bit only, 32bit died in 2017.

archlinux32.org is a different community derived fork.

It's still my favourite distro though.
Oh, I never knew it was actually a fork.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait so this is supposed to be light weight but it's not 32bit?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
from here:

So much for running on aging hardware :ROFL:
Well I'd consider <2012 about as old hardware, lots of processors started being 64bit from around 2006 onward with pretty no PC CPUs being 32bit from 2011 onward unless it's some utterly crap mini laptop with pentiums (or were pentiums all also 64bit? Probably Celerons then. Atom CPU would count, but those don't count, utterly idiotic of anyone who bought them).
I don't think I've touched any hardware newer than about 2010 that isn't 64bit (not talking about what OS was installed, for some reason people loved installing W7 32bit on a 64bit machine, was fun upgrading the RAM to 8GB ~2010 and then being forced to reinstall the entire OS).

Arthur

Honorary Master
I tried to replace Windows on my PC. The problem is Linux didn't run Office 365 and SharePoint/OneDrive. Or the 30 other apps I need. What a bummer.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I tried to replace Windows on my PC. The problem is Linux didn't run Office 365 and SharePoint/OneDrive. Or the 30 other apps I need. What a bummer.
Works fine online and Onedrive works with Rclone...

gamer16

Honorary Master
Well I'd consider <2012 about as old hardware, lots of processors started being 64bit from around 2006 onward with pretty no PC CPUs being 32bit from 2011 onward unless it's some utterly crap mini laptop with pentiums (or were pentiums all also 64bit? Probably Celerons then. Atom CPU would count, but those don't count, utterly idiotic of anyone who bought them).
I don't think I've touched any hardware newer than about 2010 that isn't 64bit (not talking about what OS was installed, for some reason people loved installing W7 32bit on a 64bit machine, was fun upgrading the RAM to 8GB ~2010 and then being forced to reinstall the entire OS).
^This

I'm running an OLD cpu from 09 and it and the other older P4 cpu's I have lying about are all 64 bit, I didn't think there would be anyone still running 32-Bit

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
^This

I'm running an OLD cpu from 09 and it and the other older P4 cpu's I have lying about are all 64 bit, I didn't think there would be anyone still running 32-Bit

More people than you think...

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
x86 processing:

ZDNet: From Earth to orbit with Linux and SpaceX.