Ubuntu Networking Failures

bchip

Expert Member
Hi all

Im currently running Ubuntu 18.04
What I struggle a lot with is whenever a copy a file over (larger than >500Mb) then it often fails.
It will take around 4 or 5 attempts.

The file I copy is from another Ubuntu computer on a home wifi setup. (so I cant even say its a Windows issue).
Why does it seem more reliable to copy from Ubuntu to Windows than Ubuntu to Ubuntu.

Anything I can investigate?

bchip

Expert Member
Interesting comments here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4xh9b3
Tips:
  1. Use the desktop environment that comes default with your distro - this way the bugs will be more likely sorted out
  2. Fedora workstation is quite popular for being stable. I've been adverse to Gnome 3, but maybe sticking to something more common would help my problems instead of trying something more niche. Especially if you treat the journey from one OS to another OS as the big jump. And then a new DE as a separate sub-jump. One thing I've learnt from the art of change is not to do too much at once, it increases your likelihood of reversion.
  3. Recent Ubuntu versions seem to be having problems. I always figured that having the larger crowd of users would help sort the problems out, but that could have been wrong. Lots of recommendations of Arch, Manjaro & Mint, even though to me these seemed like the more unstable distros, but there's a very good chance I'm wrong given my distro choices lately, and the stability that others seem to be experiencing.

oldhat

Expert Member
Hi all

Im currently running Ubuntu 18.04
What I struggle a lot with is whenever a copy a file over (larger than >500Mb) then it often fails.
It will take around 4 or 5 attempts.

The file I copy is from another Ubuntu computer on a home wifi setup. (so I cant even say its a Windows issue).
Why does it seem more reliable to copy from Ubuntu to Windows than Ubuntu to Ubuntu.

Anything I can investigate?
How are the files shared over the network(SMB, NFS, etc.)? Are you using the default file manager or other software to copy the files? Does the system show up any error message when the transfer fails?

bchip

Expert Member
How are the files shared over the network(SMB, NFS, etc.)? Are you using the default file manager or other software to copy the files? Does the system show up any error message when the transfer fails?
I have nautilus and samba installed, but I believe it nautilus running.
When I go into the Process Manager, I can see the nautilus running but not anything for samba

The error message is always - Timeout trying to copy files.

I have both a windows pc and another linux-ubuntu pc that share files with the main server

Hope that answers the question

oldhat

Expert Member
I have a similar setup. Samba shares on one WIndows PC & one Xubuntu(18.04) server. Often copy files over wifi to laptop(KDE Neon, based on Ubuntu 18.04) with no problems. I only ever experienced a time-out error while trying to copy over a SSH tunnel.

You may also want to try connecting via a network cable(if possible) to see if the problem persists.