Unsolicited calls after SIM swap at Vodashop

francs

I got a second sim and number with my Vodacom contract 14 months ago, but I never used the 2nd SIM and subsequently lost it.
Last month I decided to get a replacement sim from the Vodashop and put it in an old phone I had available.
As soon as I turned it on the spam calls started. A few a day.
So how did the marketing companies get my number?

This is a serious concern for me, because what other information are sold to third parties?
Think of all the confidential paperwork the cell companies require to open a new account.
Certainly information that can be abused.

Or am I just paranoid and the marketing companies were lucky when they dialed a previously unused number?

francs

It might have been used before, but it's the same number I got 14 months ago.
Surely they'll stop calling a number if it's unavailable after a number of months.

3WA

Expert Member
That ethow link reads like a spammer who is having a rough time with truecaller. It’s quite clear that the information is publicly sourced. I reported spam numbers when I used the app.

You consent to the collection, use, sharing and processing of personal information as described herein. If You provide us with personal information about someone else, You confirm that they are aware that You have provided their information and that they consent to our use of their information according to our Privacy Policy
Source: https://privacy.truecaller.com/privacy-policy
Have you asked any of you contacts for their permission to share their details (name, number, email address and any other info you store in your Contacts)? I bet you haven't.