Upgrade Contract before your upgrade period

marhsava

Hey Guys,

I am in the 19th month of my 24 month contract with MTN and do you'll think I can upgrade before the 21st month of my contract.

ToxicCorra27

I know you normally can:

Basically what happened to me was ( this is the reason I never upgrade before the 24 Months)
When your Contract start and you choose a phone, they take the price of the phone ÷ 24 = to get you a monthly price ( lets say its R300) then they + your actual contract to that price like Data, minutes Airtime. Let say you end up paying R600

So when you upgrade before the actual end, you still owe them the outstanding balance of the phone. So if your new contract is R600 they will add the extra R300 for the phone as well until it't paid off.

chunk10

Banned
I know you normally can:

Basically what happened to me was ( this is the reason I never upgrade before the 24 Months)
When your Contract start and you choose a phone, they take the price of the phone ÷ 24 = to get you a monthly price ( lets say its R300) then they + your actual contract to that price like Data, minutes Airtime. Let say you end up paying R600

So when you upgrade before the actual end, you still owe them the outstanding balance of the phone. So if your new contract is R600 they will add the extra R300 for the phone as well until it't paid off.
Are you on Vodacom or MTN? when i upgraded on MTN that didn't happen to me, i just paid the New price for the new contract.

isie

Honorary Master
I know you normally can:

On vodacom they do this (but more like make you complete the 24 months then only start the new bill unless you opt to pay in) MTN does not. I have contracts on both.
MTN they start the new contract on the next billing month and the last few months fall away, and you start paying the new phones handset charge. So in essence you save the last 2 or 3 months handset charge - MTN actually give you a reason to upgrade a few months before the 24 months is up. I have never ended up paying an extra amount to pay off the old phone.

ToxicCorra27

Are you on Vodacom or MTN? when i upgraded on MTN that didn't happen to me, i just paid the New price for the new contract.
That's quite cool, I was actually on Vodacom. Well thanks now I know next time rather use MTN.

ToxicCorra27

On vodacom they do this (but more like make you complete the 24 months then only start the new bill unless you opt to pay in) MTN does not. I have contracts on both.
MTN they start the new contract on the next billing month and the last few months fall away, and you start paying the new phones handset charge. So in essence you save the last 2 or 3 months handset charge - MTN actually give you a reason to upgrade a few months before the 24 months is up. I have never ended up paying an extra amount to pay off the old phone.
Thanks, I never knew it was only Vodacom. I thought this was a standard across all Networks.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
But remember that the network still has you by the short and curlies for the remained of the original contract. In effect your new contract only starts when the old one ends, even if they change the price plan. So if you start a new 24 month contract in month 20, you are still liable for the remaining 4 months + the new 24 months. The exception would be if there was no device, in which case they could just be ending the old contract prematurely at no cost and starting the new one.

Just make sure you get it in writing exactly what your commitments are to the original contract. You don't want the shock of finding out in 2 years time that you still have another 4 months.

marhsava

Got some feedback from MTN, they said I can do an upgrade in the 20th month of my contract.

Mayor Mudzuri

Hi Guys, l would like some assistance on my upgrade due this October.l need to have an early upgrade online.Is it simple to do it this way than instore as l was adviced by one mtn staff.Thanx

isie

Honorary Master
Hi Guys, l would like some assistance on my upgrade due this October.l need to have an early upgrade online.Is it simple to do it this way than instore as l was adviced by one mtn staff.Thanx
Ya it's simple to do online, the only thing is they deliver you your device so that takes a few days while at a store your get the device immediately if they have stock.

Mayor Mudzuri

Thank u so much for the advice.l did called Mtn and unfortunately l was told to go instore for the upgrade bcz for an early upgrade they said u need to pay a once off payment of R576 or so instore.So it seems this online Early upgrades doesnt work lm just being confused now bcz they should have hv been taking their money from my Debit Order like always.Please advice.

isie

Honorary Master
Thank u so much for the advice.l did called Mtn and unfortunately l was told to go instore for the upgrade bcz for an early upgrade they said u need to pay a once off payment of R576 or so instore.So it seems this online Early upgrades doesnt work lm just being confused now bcz they should have hv been taking their money from my Debit Order like always.Please advice.
depends How early are you upgrading?

Mayor Mudzuri

Thank u greatly for the response, as to how early lm upgrading l am only having 2 months left to have my upgrade which l now want done now as an early upgrade.