Use for bricked iPhone 3G

astrauss

My iPhone 3G inadvertently bricked itself.

Any suggestions for what to with it besides giving to the kids as a toy.

upup

Executive Member
no, no,no ; take it to a reputable company to safely destroy it.
Cant you sell the screen as spare.

roligov

Meh it's almost impossible to completely brick and iPhone. Send it to me, i'll repair it and send it back :)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Unless the hardware is damaged in some way, there's no such thing as a bricked iPhone, just someone who doesn't know how to it working again.

clasqm

Don't listen to the guys above this post. Remove the SIM, let the kids have their "iPod Touch 3GS" and get yourself a 4s later this month. You know you want to.

astrauss

As it is dead, I think the best suggestion so far is to sell it for spares

unskinnybob

Expert Member
I have YET to see a bricked 3Gs. That said, it would make a pretty nifty door stop.

cerebus

Honorary Master
What exactly do you mean by bricked? If the phone software is actually completely broken then you can do nothing whatsoever with it. If it is locked and you can still use the screen as an ipod touch, I can suggest several great uses for it, similarly to how I use my current 1st gen iPod Touch:

1) As an iPod!
2) As an HTPC remote control. I use Mobile Mouse, or you can try XBMC Remote.
3) Get an AR.Parrot Drone.
4) Dock it in your stereo system as a music hub.
5) Put some games on it to entertain the kids while you're out. All the classics should work fine like TinyWings, WordsWithFriends, WordFortress, etc should be great.

I'm sure there's more.

grok

Honorary Master
Unless the hardware is damaged in some way, there's no such thing as a bricked iPhone, just someone who doesn't know how to it working again.

Yeah right .. my 3Gs started acting up directly after upgrade to 4.3.3. No problems with it before, not once, ever!
Symptoms were signal would show 4-5 bars, then drop down to 1 bar and I'd get the 'No Service' message and then 'sync to iTunes' screen.
Upon syncing phone would work again for a while, sometimes days, but eventually I'd had to plug in to sync again. No I didn't install a tethered JB either!
Unfortunately this happened when my phone was 3 weeks out of warranty so both Apple and Vodacom refused to help me.
The guys at Apple (Core?) were so useless they couldn't even restore the firmware once, while at that stage I was doing it a couple times a week.

So, probably not bricked as in totally dead but definitely non-working by any definition. I've tried everything from tinyumbrella to building custom firmware and loading that - to no avail.
So much for Apple's 'walled garden' supposedly to keep me safe - well guess what .. Apple's phone, Apple's iTunes, Apple's firmware update broke my phone.
So what do you say now, Steve. Oh wait ..

As far as I can tell the firmware upgrade screwed up my baseband, causing the connection problems. There are hundreds if not thousands of iPhone users with the same problem left out in the cold. Google it if you don't believe me. Problem seem to have begun with iOS 4... somewhere. I even opened it up to check for loose connections, haven't tried upgrading to iPad baseband (some have reported success) but I was so gatvol at that stage I decided to upgraded the 3 iPhones in my family to android and be done with Apple.

And pls don't call me a noob, I'm a qualified Elec Eng working as a ERP consultant nowadays, I understand computers from the atomic level up through the various hardware levels up to OS and coding - it's what I do.

Interesting thing would be how many of you 'there's no such thing as a bricked iphone' would have the balls to try & prove me wrong.

As for using it as a Touch, personally I think I'd get more satisfaction out of watching it fly, being so aerodynamic and all.

Last edited:

astrauss

When I get round to picking it up, I'll try to get a report as to what exactly they think is wrong with it and report back here. (may take a few days though)

cerebus

Honorary Master
So............. do you actually want to do something with it or are you just very upset?

Lounger

Expert Member
Can't you just download iOS5 from here http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/10/ios-5-0-1-released-download-links/ and then restore from within iTunes? Unless it's a hardware issue of course. I plan on using mine as a bedside alarm / dedicated pandora player. Looking for a nice dock where it can spend the rest of its retired days.
I believe Apple already thought of that. When the battery dies, it just turns itself on and off repeatedly. A brick by any other name.