Useless MTN - Still no Nokia 8

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Wow January 2018 still no Nokia 8 for MTN, no person at MTN is even aware of Nokia 8 or any plans about getting it.

Why do our Mobile operators always go out of their way to make life more difficult for their subscribers?

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Vodacom only had exclusivity for 2 months, MTN was mentioned as one of the operators who was going to have it.
Cell C also has it
Yeah from the original article it stated Vodacom has 2 month exclusivity and then afterwards MTN and Cell C can sell it. Cell C started selling them since November. Two months later and MTN still don't even advertise them, store personal don't even have any clue.

Pho3nix

The Legend
There was a guy that worked at MTN that said he was looking into it. Lemme try find the post.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
This is a stupid ICASA rule that actually help create the monopoly of services, and industries.

You actually have put forward your proposed ideas to ICASA before you go public with them, and once you are given the go ahead, you are awarded a grace period where you are able to be the sole provider of the proposed product or service.

It is actually quite irritating

isie

Honorary Master
This is a stupid ICASA rule that actually help create the monopoly of services, and industries.

You actually have put forward your proposed ideas to ICASA before you go public with them, and once you are given the go ahead, you are awarded a grace period where you are able to be the sole provider of the proposed product or service.

It is actually quite irritating
this doesn't make sense in this context HMD Global would be the ones to bring the phones in - and they signed the exclusivity deal with Vodacom for the 8 (MTN has all their other phones) - has nothing to do with Icasa ?

CT_Biker

Expert Member
this doesn't make sense in this context HMD Global would be the ones to bring the phones in - and they signed the exclusivity deal with Vodacom for the 8 (MTN has all their other phones) - has nothing to do with Icasa ?
The deal may have been between VC and HMD, but the HMD has to submit test units to ICASA for testing before the device can be sold. Vodacom can then also request for an exclusivity agreement.

It happens very often and I do the drafting of these proposals. The same applies for the when a product(read: contract plan) is released. Example: Cell C has a Whatsapp Bundle, which you can buy for X - at the moment they are the only people who can provide that particular product for a said period before it can be offered by all networks. You should then observe that Telkom also offers a "Whatsapp bundle", how ever it bundled into a product set and cannot be purchased as a stand alone product. Same applies with phones, or should I say, more "niche" phones.

isie

Honorary Master
The deal may have been between VC and HMD, but the HMD has to submit test units to ICASA for testing before the device can be sold. Vodacom can then also request for an exclusivity agreement.

It happens very often and I do the drafting of these proposals. The same applies for the when a product(read: contract plan) is released. Example: Cell C has a Whatsapp Bundle, which you can buy for X - at the moment they are the only people who can provide that particular product for a said period before it can be offered by all networks. You should then observe that Telkom also offers a "Whatsapp bundle", how ever it bundled into a product set and cannot be purchased as a stand alone product. Same applies with phones, or should I say, more "niche" phones.
I understand all of that but Again still doesn't make any sense in this case - They have sent the phone for testing at Icasa - the just chose Vodacom to be the exclusive partner for upgrade / contracts - I can buy an Icasa Approved Nokia 8 Cash - from a few stores , eg, Take a lot, Cellu city etc

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I understand all of that but Again still doesn't make any sense in this case - They have sent the phone for testing at Icasa - the just chose Vodacom to be the exclusive partner for upgrade / contracts - I can buy an Icasa Approved Nokia 8 Cash - from a few stores , eg, Take a lot, Cellu city etc
Take A Lot will not fall under the regulation of ICASA, the will be subject to the Competition Commission.

Telecoms Operators and VANS(3rd-party service providers) and a few small branches of the telecommunications industry are subject to ICASA regulation, rather than the CC.

Back in the day when Telkom SOC was the sole landline and DSL operator, they were the regulatory body for the entire industry, which is why ICASA was formed when Telkom became it's own burden. Consumer complaints were handled by the Telecoms Ombud.

Now ICASA's job, which is actually very similar to that of the CC is to regulate the Telecom industry and ensure free and fair play - however, they have a history of "favoring" providers, and giving them allowances which do not facilitate fair competition.

isie

Honorary Master
Take A Lot will not fall under the regulation of ICASA, the will be subject to the Competition Commission.

Telecoms Operators and VANS(3rd-party service providers) and a few small branches of the telecommunications industry are subject to ICASA regulation, rather than the CC.

Back in the day when Telkom SOC was the sole landline and DSL operator, they were the regulatory body for the entire industry, which is why ICASA was formed when Telkom became it's own burden. Consumer complaints were handled by the Telecoms Ombud.

Now ICASA's job, which is actually very similar to that of the CC is to regulate the Telecom industry and ensure free and fair play - however, they have a history of "favoring" providers, and giving them allowances which do not facilitate fair competition.
Actually no every cell phone on sale must be approved by Icasa you could buy your own from overseas they wont do anything but takealot and other retailers / wholesalers must, competition commision has nothing to with this. I'm really questioning your knowledge here, of all the 100s of phones, somehow icasa has stopped any other provider besides vodacom from selling the Nokia 8 and had nothing to do with a deal between Vodacom and HMD? :whistling:

According to all info i could find The exclusivity deal should have fallen away end october.
TS: Vodacom has been a major partner when it comes to the rollout of devices, offering certain phones on an exclusive billing. Will HMD Global look to expand its level of exclusivity in 2018?

SD: Given the size of Vodafone on a global scale, and the opportunities they afford, making certain devices exclusive made sense at the time, especially when factoring in negotiations and deployment.

If we look at the Nokia 8 as an example, we gave Vodacom time to market which ended on the 31st of October, and now it's been opened to the rest of the market in South Africa. Given the fact that Vodacom has a lion's share of the market locally, as well as being strong in both postpaid and prepaid areas, made them the right carrier to go with in that instance.

Is it something we're going to look at moving forward? Probably not, as it creates complexity. You have customers out there that aren't with Vodacom, so how do you cater to them? Furthermore, what are you doing by potentially offering exclusivity elsewhere?

It's a difficult situation to juggle, but I think going forward, it will likely be looked at more sensitively.

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Actually no every cell phone on sale must be approved by Icasa you could buy your own from overseas they wont do anything but takealot and other retailers / wholesalers must, competition commision has nothing to with this. I'm really questioning your knowledge here, of all the 100s of phones, somehow icasa has stopped any other provider besides vodacom from selling the Nokia 8 and had nothing to do with a deal between Vodacom and HMD? :whistling:

According to all info i could find The exclusivity deal should have fallen away end october.

My point exactly all the information available says the deal that Vodacom has exclusivity, should have fallen away by end of October.
Besides the point Cell C has since started supplying the Nokia 8 since about early to mid November in line with when the deal ended.

I would have understood MTN not having the device maybe November was to short notice to get it added to their deals or even the monthly booklets. This is now January 2018 and not a single person at MTN can give you solid information.

isie

Honorary Master
My point exactly all the information available says the deal that Vodacom has exclusivity, should have fallen away by end of October.
Besides the point Cell C has since started supplying the Nokia 8 since about early to mid November in line with when the deal ended.

I would have understood MTN not having the device maybe November was to short notice to get it added to their deals or even the monthly booklets. This is now January 2018 and not a single person at MTN can give you solid information.
i have checked on twitter and people asking them back in november they asked them to fill in online to pre order.
they haven't responded to later tweets - -if it wasn't their apathy and Icasa im sure they would gladly pass the blame

Magine

I have been waiting on the Nokia 8 to be available on MTN since last year. Was also under the impression that it would be available from October 2017.. but have had a number of different (some very creative) answers as to why it isn't available yet.

The most credible answer I managed to find is that MTN won't make it available because it is a Dual-Sim phone...

Sumen

Expert Member
I have been waiting on the Nokia 8 to be available on MTN since last year. Was also under the impression that it would be available from October 2017.. but have had a number of different (some very creative) answers as to why it isn't available yet.

The most credible answer I managed to find is that MTN won't make it available because it is a Dual-Sim phone...
Any way it wasn't meant to be, Nokia/HMD is having an event on 25 feb, let's see what they launch.

isie

Honorary Master

That sounds Like BS they sell plenty of Dual sim capable phones they strip the dual capability though.
Which vodacom does as well