Very Weird Outlook 365 email issue

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Family of 5. Dad has a Microsoft Account with Office 365 family annual plan.
All family members are linked to his account and sharing the above plan.
The wife has office 365 installed on her own PC, but she uses exactly the same email address as the dad (her own microsoft account linked to his as his wife - member of his family).
So I have to set up the same email address on both PC's (it's an Mweb account), and set the mail to remain on the server for 14 days.
It used to work great, and she would get the same emails as him and be able to help him with office admin.

But now here's the problem. When I switched her from Outlook 2013 to Office 365, the email account won't work now.
It won't even let me add it in Outlook. It just throws an error as if the password is wrong or something.
On her same Windows 10 PC, the same account work fine in Windows 10 mail.
So I know the problem is not the account or the password. It's just Outlook that won't allow it.

TLDR: Outlook 365 refuses to add the same email account that is already being used on another PC on the same network. But other email clients will open the account.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Trying a few other options and reading up about autodiscover

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I've just noticed (using my remote control application - AnyDesk) that the user's Internet Connection seems to be dropping on a fairly regular basis... Have to keep re-connecting.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Does it pop up asking for a password? From your description it's why I mentioned maybe the auto discover.

The connection problems: Even though I would say that shouldn't make a big difference it might actually cause problems in authentication. 365 is not entirely like running a simple exchange server but you can set it up that way...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It did pop up once and ask for the password.

It also tells me that the server certificate is wrong and has the wrong name (probably because the email address is netactive and the server is mweb).

Moosedrool

Executive Member
It did pop up once and ask for the password.

It also tells me that the server certificate is wrong and has the wrong name (probably because the email address is netactive and the server is mweb).
Wait I'm getting ahead of myself it's a pop/imap account?

If so forget everything I said. That makes sense why MSARA didn't work.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
pop account - pop3.mweb.co.za and email address is netactive.co.za
And you tried wacking the profile completely?

Also out of curiosity do you have this Mail icon under control panel user accounts?

Or does it force you try to do it the new rubbish way with the 365 windows?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Not sure what you mean by wacking the profile completely.

Yes, it does have that icon there. Exactly the same.
So if you go in there and select show profiles you can delete the profile normally called Outlook and setup a new one.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
OK thanks , you fixed it.

What I did was open that outlook profile and added the account there, instead of through Outlook.

Now the account has been succesfully added in Outlook.

My next question is why the hell does Windows 10 behave in this way?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
OK thanks , you fixed it.

What I did was open that outlook profile and added the account there, instead of through Outlook.

Now the account has been succesfully added in Outlook.

My next question is why the hell does Windows 10 behave in this way?
It's not windows 10 it's that new rubbish office configuration layout. It's really bad.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Very weird... can't find anything on the Internet about this... how do they expect people to just know this?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Very weird... can't find anything on the Internet about this... how do they expect people to just know this?
From what I can gather it's designed with the intended idea that you have a 365 mail account. (Sorry about that but even I thought that's what you meant.) then you literally just type the mail address and password without any hassle. The thing is Microsoft forgets that not every user/business runs like they do and designs "user friendly" ways to try and make it as few clicks as possible.

Anyways, Glad I could help even if I nearly cause way more hours of troubleshooting. XD

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Thank you... I can't tell you how long I've battled with this.
I've tried to encourage this family to upgrade and move to Gmail or Outlook... but he's a doctor and he wants to keep his original mweb address.

Claymore

Executive Member
From what I can gather it's designed with the intended idea that you have a 365 mail account. (Sorry about that but even I thought that's what you meant.) then you literally just type the mail address and password without any hassle. The thing is Microsoft forgets that not every user/business runs like they do and designs "user friendly" ways to try and make it as few clicks as possible.

Anyways, Glad I could help even if I nearly cause way more hours of troubleshooting. XD
It's designed for mail servers with autodiscover records. MWeb is still in the dark ages though, so there's some manual setup needed (especially if you want to get rid on Synaq's certificate errors).