Vet costs and pets

I had my bitch fixed = R1100-. That is gonna be the full extent of my first world problems. Anything major happens and i will take care of it myself. I saw a lot of stray dogs with puppies in my area. I will give one a good home and a job.
 
Paid R10,000 trying to save one of my cats in 2012 that had a blood clot. Would have paid double happily if they saved him.

+1

Also R10,000 for a terrible hernia for my cat and there was no guarantee it'd even work. She did survive but I'd also pay double that
 
My dog was acting a bit odd this morning, wasn't eating, wandering around. She's also been coughing for a week as well. So I took her to the vet this morning and the vet also did some blood tests and ruled out tick bite and the usual stuff. It was discovered she has a high temperature of 40.8 and a high white blood cell count which means she has an infection so he asked to keep her there for the day to get the fever under control.

Vet phoned back late this afternoon and said that her fever has gone down a bit but not to normal level, so he wants to keep her there tonight to ensure she gets better. He also wanted permission to do a chest x-ray to see if there's a reason for the coughing because the blood tests aren't showing anything that can cause the cough. But long story short, the bill will be about R2000, and I said that fine.

My colleagues at work heard the bill amount and started saying that they would never pay that much for a pet and would rather put them down. Their attitude was pretty much the maximum amount they would pay is R1000, anything over that just put the animal down.

Do people really value their pets so little that a bill of R2000 isn't worth the love and joy a pet gives you? My dog is 10 years old, and apart from the annual visits to the vet for boosters, this is the 3rd time she has gone to the vet for being ill which averages out to about R600 per year in vet bills.

My dog got sick last week and we spent R1000 on my 12 year old GSD and would never put him down since hes a lovely dog, would pay anything for him :D.
 
Just want to say I am glad that the majority of people replying here feel the same way about there pets like I do. They aren't just animals, they are part of the family. My dog is getting better and going for checkup tomorrow but she is pretty much back to her usual self.
 
Paid R10,000 trying to save one of my cats in 2012 that had a blood clot. Would have paid double happily if they saved him.

+1

But its about the age of the animal.
My cats are 4 and 5 respectively and I must have spent 10 k on both of them between bites and tail crushing accidents. That's exuding vaccinations. Those little ****s are young and sprightly... I'll do everything to keep them alive but when they start getting to 12-13 ill consider rather putting them down if they are in a bad way.
 
Our dog also had this dreadful virus last year. We also spent around 3000-4000 on vet bills but luckly he made it.

And then later the year he got diarea and took him to overnight vet near Clearwater and spent another R1500 as it was on a Sunday.

But it seems like some vets don't really care about the animals and are just in it for the money.

I suppose they have to make their money as well.
When my cats tail got crushed it was on a public holiday and they kept him for the entire long weekend.... that was only R2500, I was quite surprised.
 
I must be honest, I'm quite surprised you bunch are willing to spend so much on your pets. It's nice actually, as long as you can afford to do so. Good to see people take good care of their pets.
 
I need medical aid for my pets

For those who may be interested, in the US we actually do have pet insurance/medical aid. I have a plan for my dogs, that will cover 80% of any treatment over $200 up to $20k/year. Cost is around $60 for the one and $40 for the other (the first one was an older (5 years at the time) dog we adopted). I don't know if there's something like that in SA.
 
My wife cats was knock down by a car. The driver did not stop.

It cost us 25 000. All in all to get her sorted. She is now 10 years old. And still going strong.

She is great with my kid.

It is going to be a sad day when she passes.
 
For those who may be interested, in the US we actually do have pet insurance/medical aid. I have a plan for my dogs, that will cover 80% of any treatment over $200 up to $20k/year. Cost is around $60 for the one and $40 for the other (the first one was an older (5 years at the time) dog we adopted). I don't know if there's something like that in SA.

Yes, there is. But even that is beyond some people's means.
 
A pay exactly R104 pm for my kitten's insurance. I know they won't cover everything in an emergency but every little bit helps. A cat is damn expensive though... Getting her fixed was R750, plus 3 x vaccinations / deworming @ around R300 a go, microchip for R200 and something, and she isn't even a year old yet. And that's excluding her litter, treats, shampoo, cologne, food, poop bags, collar, bowls, toys etc. She's my little brat though and I would pay anything to save her if the time ever comes :)

Oh forgot about her dining station which was about R300 and her special bed and cat carrier too :)
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X