Video Editing PC Upgrade

Moophin

I'm planning on building my own custom-PC mainly used for Video Editing and entry gaming. I think I already own a decent GPU, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 (http://www.gigabyte.co.za/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4475#ov) and a Western Digital 2TB Green HDD (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780). I also have a random optical drive which I won't use often. I am planning on buying these components for the new PC:

*EDITED*

• Corsair Obsidian 350D With Windowed Side Panel Black No PSU Micro-ATX Chassis

Main reason posting is I wanted to make sure all the components are compatible with each other since I am new to custom built PC's and if there are any unnecessary components or recommended components to be added to the list. My main video editing software is Adobe After Effects CS6 and OS is Mac OS X. I have a Windows 7 Pro 64bit copy available to use if I can't Hackintosh the new build (also would like to know if it's possible with the chipset and other components). I have a budget of R10k but wouldn't mind spending a extra R1k for a better performer except for a SSD Drive which I don't need at the moment. Any help/advice appreciated :D
Thanks.

Last edited:

Mariuspay

Why get the 4670K if the M/B cant overclock? I really think a SSD will be worth it, as video editing intensely rely on HDD speed.

Nirv

The point about the processor is that it has the "K" suffix which means it is unlocked and thus overclockable. If you want to overclock, do go with the "K" suffix but you will have to get a Z87. Though that piece from Asus about the H- MBs looks promising, I'd be wary of their claims. Alternatively, if you don't overclock, stick with the original MB and rather get a locked i7 4770 (I think the professional software you'll be using does benefit from the extra threads the i7 offers). You'll be using watercooling so overclocking is probably the intention, otherwise stick with stock cooling. I'm not sure on all the details regarding requirements of a video editing machine, but I often see recommendations for memory faster than 1600MHz especially with Haswell processors.

Regarding the SSD, my own experiences make me want to recommend one, but you'd probably have to get quite a large capacity (256GB+) and have to shift your working projects off and onto your larger HDD storage as needed. Though the speed benefits may well be worth it.

Moophin

Thanks for the reply I'lll do a bit more research about the software requirements and recommendations :)

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Main reason posting is I wanted to make sure all the components are compatible with each other since I am new to custom built PC's and if there are any unnecessary components or recommended components to be added to the list. My main video editing software is Adobe After Effects CS6 and OS is Mac OS X. I have a Windows 7 Pro 64bit copy available to use if I can't Hackintosh the new build (also would like to know if it's possible with the chipset and other components). I have a budget of R10k but wouldn't mind spending a extra R1k for a better performer except for a SSD Drive which I don't need at the moment. Any help/advice appreciated :D
Thanks.
You want something that can be a Hackintosh? You're going to have to stick to Gigabyte motherboards and the 8-series chipset, because none of the 9-series boards are properly supported by OS X just yet. If you are patient and can wait for Apple or Multibeast to support them natively, then go with this build:

Intel Core i5-4670K @ R2896
Corsair Hydro H75 @ R1005
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 mATX @ R2557
Kingston Hyper-X RED 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 @ R1208
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD @ R3099
Corsair CS550M 550W Modular 80Plus Gold @ R1152
Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX @ R1164
Total: R13,081

Although people have built Hackintoshes using other boards and platforms, it's monumentally more tricky to get it working on non-Gigabyte boards. Most Z87 Gigabyte boards will support everything out of the box, but they're becoming more difficult to locate.

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
You will probably have to get a SSD and a better GPU if you really want a half decent Video Editing pc

Moophin

You want something that can be a Hackintosh? You're going to have to stick to Gigabyte motherboards and the 8-series chipset, because none of the 9-series boards are properly supported by OS X just yet. If you are patient and can wait for Apple or Multibeast to support them natively, then go with this build:

Intel Core i5-4670K @ R2896
Corsair Hydro H75 @ R1005
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 mATX @ R2557
Kingston Hyper-X RED 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 @ R1208
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD @ R3099
Corsair CS550M 550W Modular 80Plus Gold @ R1152
Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX @ R1164
Total: R13,081

Although people have built Hackintoshes using other boards and platforms, it's monumentally more tricky to get it working on non-Gigabyte boards. Most Z87 Gigabyte boards will support everything out of the box, but they're becoming more difficult to locate.
the problem with that setup is the RAM speed. It is recommended to have at least a 2GHz speed for RAM previews and rendering although I had 1,6GHz in the original component list which I shall update soon. I also don't mind working on Windows and am very keen to mess around with motherboard settings until I get the correct settings for Hackintosh.

Moophin

I don't need the SSD since I'm not doing video editing for a job rather a hobby so I don't mind having a slow HDD when I get more money I'll look into buying a SSD.