Vintage Computers up for grabs - JHB Area

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
For peeps in Jhb area into vintage PC stuff (XT onwards);

I'm having an open garage in Sandton this coming Saturday morning where a large number of vintage PC systems, motherboards, cards, drives, keyboards, etc. are up for grabs.

These were donated by one of the members here on MyBB so there is no cost. However you are asked to donate towards the cost of the shipping (more than a ton of stuff shipped from Natal! :) ) if you come and grab some stuff for yourself. Your call on what you think you should donate. (Wine also counts..... ;) )

More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagecomputingsa/permalink/10156832607786170/

and more pics here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagecomputingsa/permalink/10156843598256170/

Attachments

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Besides, I don't think MyBB members should pay a peny to you.

You have received it from MyBB member for free, then made a wrong decision transfering all this junk from Capetown (or Natal) and now asking MyBB members to cover the cost of transport?

What kind of people are you?
I'm the "kind of people" that paid (quite) a few thousand to have it transported to JHB, from my own pocket. It was an intentional decision to get a huge stash of stuff to the people who would never incur the costs to drive down to Natal and back to pick up a motherboard or a floppy drive. Now they can get whatever they want for free.

In theory, I could've sold it all but am giving it away for free but asked for contributions on the transport. How much do you think I'm going to get back? The real reason I'm asking for something is to ensure some dude does not arrive, load it all up and go and sell it.

In addition, everyone who comes around on the day will get booze and food, paid for by me. Maybe I should sell food hampers? Then you can attack me for trying to make more money off fellow collectors??

Rather ask yourself "what kind of people are you" that must always try your best to attack me. It shows more about you than anything else, to be honest.

Last edited:

Messugga

Honorary Master
Besides, I don't think MyBB members should pay a peny to you.

You have received it from MyBB member for free, then made a wrong decision transfering all this junk from Capetown (or Natal) and now asking MyBB members to cover the cost of transport?

What kind of people are you?
Scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit there...

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Don't argue with sajunky, there really is no point.

Cool that you're giving away vintage systems, don't really see the point for most of them though, but I am definitely not a collector of old electronics. :p
Yeah, you're right.

These old systems have a huge support group, though.

Personally, I collect systems from the 70's and 80's but the 8088/268/386/486 systems running DOS, Win 3.1, etc. are very popular with the guys who had them as kids.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
So now you're basically charging people to clear your garage for you. And you're then feeding them drinks and food so that they don't realise your nefarious plan! This is horrific, exploitation, labour and a human rights violation and stuff.

Shame on you Jannie, shame!!

Edit: Can you move it to next week Saturday, I'm not around this weekend

Dave

Honorary Master
So now you're basically charging people to clear your garage for you. And you're then feeding them drinks and food so that they don't realise your nefarious plan! This is horrific, exploitation, labour and a human rights violation and stuff.

You should change your username, how about maljunky?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

Edit: Can you move it to next week Saturday, I'm not around this weekend
Rats, you caught me out.... :(

In JHB till Wednsday the following week.......

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Rats, you caught me out.... :(

In JHB till Wednsday the following week.......
Nah, the wife has relegated all my old stuff , and not so old stuff to the garage already. I barely manage to squeeze my car in anyway.

The real goodies were in Malawi though, but my mum chucked all of it when she moved house

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Hi Jannie, I love all the "mystery boxes" ... I'll take whatever's in the Choc-Kits box :p

I'm way too much of a noob to be able to get any value from anything apart from an original Apple Mac (I once had one of those and played around with it just for novelty purposes before giving it away again), so I'll leave this to the power users.

EDIT: Damn you Who.Dat, as I posted that I saw your post had just popped in :D The Choc-Kits are mine!!!

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Hi Jannie, I love all the "mystery boxes" ... I'll take whatever's in the Choc-Kits box :p

I'm way too much of a noob to be able to get any value from anything apart from an original Apple Mac (I once had one of those and played around with it just for novelty purposes before giving it away again), so I'll leave this to the power users.

EDIT: Damn you Who.Dat, as I posted that I saw your post had just popped in :D The Choc-Kits are mine!!!
I have some Apple Mac systems in Cpt but assume you in JHb?

Think I'm going to have to auction the Choc-Kits off to stay true to my apparent evil intent to get MyBB members to pay for my stupid mistake to drag a ton (literally - there are machines there that weigh 25Kg each) up to Jhb. ;)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I have some Apple Mac systems in Cpt but assume you in JHb?

Think I'm going to have to auction the Choc-Kits off to stay true to my apparent evil intent to get MyBB members to pay for my stupid mistake to drag a ton (literally - there are machines there that weigh 25Kg each) up to Jhb. ;)
Even further ... Pretoria ;)

I'm contemplating my weekend plans and wondering if I can include "a scenic tour of Jannie van Zyl's garage" in them. I'll leave the dusty keyboards to the fans - the finger snacks are what I'm after.

Totempole

Expert Member
For peeps in Jhb area into vintage PC stuff (XT onwards);

I'm having an open garage in Sandton this coming Saturday morning where a large number of vintage PC systems, motherboards, cards, drives, keyboards, etc. are up for grabs.

These were donated by one of the members here on MyBB so there is no cost. However you are asked to donate towards the cost of the shipping (more than a ton of stuff shipped from Natal! :) ) if you come and grab some stuff for yourself. Your call on what you think you should donate. (Wine also counts..... ;) )

More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagecomputingsa/permalink/10156832607786170/

and more pics here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagecomputingsa/permalink/10156843598256170/
Some beautiful machines on the right in that image. They look to mostly be Pentium 2 or 3 systems? Exactly what I look for to put together a 90's retro-gaming PC.