Virtual debit card launched by Capitec

skimread

Honorary Master
Don't see the problem. On a debit card the authorization is done as a separate charge that'll get refunded after a few days.
But my available balance is an additional amount that it should not be.

Let say I have a bank balance of R21k. I buy an item for R10K. I buy from Amazon and an unprocessed transaction of R10K is deducted from me balance leaving me R11K. I get an SMS notification my balance is R11K. Then on ship date another R10K gets deducted. I get an SMS notifcation another R10K is deducted and my balance is now R1K. When I log into my app it says balance is R1K. When I log into internet banking my balance is R1K. I phone Amazon and they say it will get refunded in a few days and on their side there is only one payment of R10K.
However, it is end of month and all my debit orders will bounce before I get refunded. Also for those 5 days I get no interest on my savings on R10K that is unprocessed.

When I bought an Amazon item from Standard bank I didn't get the problem. I ordered an item and got an SMS saying R10K get deducted. On ship date I do not get an additional deduction. My balance is always corect.

So it is Capitec specific. You understand the problem?

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Let say I have a bank balance of R21k. I buy an item for R10K. I buy from Amazon and an unprocessed transaction of R10K is deducted from me balance leaving me R11K. I get an SMS notification my balance is R11K. Then on ship date another R10K gets deducted. I get an SMS notifcation another R10K is deducted and my balance is now R1K. When I log into my app it says balance is R1K. When I log into internet banking my balance is R1K. I phone Amazon and they say it will get refunded in a few days and on their side there is only one payment of R10K.
However, it is end of month and all my debit orders will bounce before I get refunded. Also for those 5 days I get no interest on my savings on R10K that is unprocessed.

When I bought an Amazon item from Standard bank I didn't get the problem. I ordered an item and got an SMS saying R10K get deducted. On ship date I do not get an additional deduction. My balance is always corect.

Just use a credit card.

Thor

Honorary Master

That is a disaster of a bug.

skimread

Honorary Master
That is a disaster of a bug.
It's an edge case as the SA online stores I know of deduct the money immediately and refund you if they can't ship.

Anyone else want to buy an item from Amazon using a virtual card to test it as well?

Use ZA15 for a voucher of 15% for orders over $80. Max discount is $20.