Virus??

Ryansta

Hey guys
I've got a pc here at work thats being an idiot. It randomly crashes and restarts, It wont install anti-viruses and it wont install anti spyware. I've taken the hdd and scanned it in another pc with AVG 8 free, no viruses. I've stopped all services on start up(except windows one obviously). I've used advance system care to try fix broken registry, it found lots of probs and removed/fixed them, but theres no change. I've used hackthis and removed bad registries and nothing. Any thing else i could try?

wishblade

Sounds surprisingly similar to a rootkit issue I was investigating recently :) Do a rootkit scan using a proper scanner... :)

Ryansta

Tried the panda one but it stops the .exe as well. Cant do any scans:(

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
how does memtest work in this situation:D..its fubar:D
anyway lets try safe mode first

SuperAntMD

Expert Member
get a copy of ubuntu, run it off the livecd feature install avg or similiar and try scanning from there?

wishblade

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I had a similar virus just recently, couldnt update any apps online, not even ms updates. So I used another computer to download the "malicious file remover tool" from MS. Ran it and presto. Updated everything and scanned the crap out of my PC for two days!

By the way, the virus managed to infect my pc even though I have windows defender, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Netlimiter Pro Firewall enabled!

wishblade

By the way, the virus managed to infect my pc even though I have windows defender, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Netlimiter Pro Firewall enabled!

Could have been a new variant, or what I was thinking in the first place for the original issue: rootkit.

I did a technical read up on how the mebroot rootkit works, and I must say, it is pretty ingenious at staying under the radar. In simple terms, it performs a few tasks under the radar of AV scanners (no suspicions raised), and then when a reboot happens, it replaces your MBR with its own, which virtually means that it can do whatever it wants on your system without being detected. Pretty clever and obviously a lot of time went into designing it...

spiderz

Honorary Master
Load Ubuntu, the Virus is called "windows" :D
/me crawls back under my rock.