Visual Studio 2019 preview

kripstoe

Expert Member
I can't talk for VS2019 on Windows, but on macOS I have logged 20+ bugs since preview 2, of which approximately half related to crashes and performance.
Microsoft's team has been very quick to engage and to submit fixes; and even though it's a preview release, I already see some significant performance improvements over VS2017.
Performance improvements on macOS or Windows ?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Performance improvements on macOS or Windows ?
I use VS far more frequently on macOS than Windows.

I haven't tested any of the previews for VS2019 on Windows yet, but considering that it's progress with C# 8 is feature complete, whereas the C# 8 implementation in mono is still very much incomplete, I'd assume that the performance improvements planned for Windows are probably also a lot further along than macOS / Linux.

kripstoe

Expert Member
I use VS far more frequently on macOS than Windows.

I haven't tested any of the previews for VS2019 on Windows yet, but considering that it's progress with C# 8 is feature complete, whereas the C# 8 implementation in mono is still very much incomplete, I'd assume that the performance improvements planned for Windows are probably also a lot further along than macOS / Linux.
Personally I feel VS2019 is faster on my Win machine, than VS2017.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Microsoft as of last week's Visual Studio for Mac 2019 8.1 preview release update have finally made available a few of C# 8.0's language features as part of the integrated support for .NET Core 3 Previews.

Advanced tutorial on pattern matching:

Whilst I would have preferred that the Enum type evolve into a proper discriminated union type including flexible associated case values, as is available in e.g. Swift...

...it's still really great to see the level of flexibility of C# 8.0 pattern matching capabilities that is exposed with switch expressions; only criticism is that a lot of associated value pattern matching examples hinge off switching over object; an arguably pseudo-esque style of type erasure; but in the absence of a proper discriminated union / tagged union type -- it's still going to be very welcome feature in C# and will certainly revitalise the usefulness of switch blocks in code base, over more verbose if / else if / else blocks.

Have you tried switch expressions yet, and what's your take on the flexibility and implementation.

Last edited: