Vodacom’s big data shocker

Uppem

I am presently in the UK and on my package of R250I get 200 free minutes , unlimited texts , and 5 gigs of data which rolls over every month. So presently I have 15 gigs of data which due to the mass availability of Wifi I will hardly ever use. VOdacom also advertised same day cancelation of contract with no penaltiesso what is good for goose et al.

Emjay

Executive Member
correct, data has been kept at an inflated rate for years in this country... now that the issue is being tackled, all those inflated data revenue streams values.....will actually start showing their real value.
Prices are set according to supply vs demand principles. You believe that prices are inflated, yet the market was buying it at those prices. The market is not signalling that those prices are inflated.

Edit:

Vodacom is taking a hit in lowering it's prices, and you want to hit them over the head for lowering their prices. Seems like a really good idea.

Last edited:

The_MAC

Executive Member
The only thing left for VC to do is find other revenue streams - Fibre, IOT, Streaming etc.

system32

Expert Member

marine1

Honorary Master
Prices are set according to supply vs demand principles. You believe that prices are inflated, yet the market was buying it at those prices. The market is not signalling that those prices are inflated.

Edit:

Vodacom is taking a hit in lowering it's prices, and you want to hit them over the head for lowering their prices. Seems like a really good idea.
Really? So thats your take?
It was not like we had choices in those days and everyone knows it was industry collusion.
Why are their prices cheaper up north?
This had everything to do with monopolies

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
40% is serious growth, though it probably also reflects business moving away from fixed lines to LTE.
Actually you'll see a bigger move from LTE to fixed in business as FTTx rollout is ramping up.

Though there is a big uptake in FWA as people use 4G at home for broadband.

Swa

Honorary Master
Then how do you explain 40% growth in data usage?
Maybe it's this
Oddly I occasionally use Vodacom's 1GB for 1 Hour at R12...
Please see the highlighted part. Cell C and Telkom are coining it having turned big data use into a constant revenue stream rather than an occasional one. They can probably boast a 400% growth in data usage but also with the accompanying increase in revenue. Maybe it's time for than long overdue bundle reductions?

Edit:

Was being the operative word because the market didn't have a choice. With Cell C and Telkom the market has in fact signaled Vodacom's prices as inflated. Vodacom is taking a hit from the competition.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
How do you use R300 OOB? When I go out of bundle (and in advance) I get a number of different notifications. A little more personal responsibility and a little over the top rhetoric.
I received a notification when my airtime had already finished. No SMS or notifications recieved before.

I don't want OOB data at all. That are able to implement it in schithole countries, why not here? Because there is no will to.

ReggaeBoyz

The last time I checked Vodacom charged R100+ for 1gb of data. Why would I want to be with them when I get 10Gb of data on the Telkom network for R99?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Please see the highlighted part. Cell C and Telkom are coining it having turned big data use into a constant revenue stream rather than an occasional one. They can probably boast a 400% growth in data usage but also with the accompanying increase in revenue. Maybe it's time for than long overdue bundle reductions?
Preaching to the choir.
I live on a plot and my only viable (stable) option for internet is vodacom.
So yea, I have a smart tv, I can stream maybe 2 hours a month

Swa

Honorary Master
Preaching to the choir.
I live on a plot and my only viable (stable) option for internet is vodacom.
So yea, I have a smart tv, I can stream maybe 2 hours a month
Yeah my comment was actually to Jannie and I quoted you as an example of where their problem lies. Doubt we'll see much come of it though.