Vodacom data sim with TP-Link MR6400 : Intermittent connection

PCS8128

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right area for this.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my issue.

I have a Vodacom data contract with the sim inserted in a 300Mbs TP-Link MR6400 router. Plug and play and I was on my way, but soon realised that the connection is very intermittent (I have a Samsung A50 connected via wifi). When it's on, it's fast enough, but only lasts a few minutes before I get the wifi icon with the exclamation mark on the phone and no internet access.

What I can see is that the signal is all over the place, dropping to zero and up to 100% every other 2 to 3 minutes. This is when I log into the router and watch it's signal strength together with the 3 lights on the router itself. The only pattern that I THINK I can see is that anything below 75% and the connection cuts off. Sometimes the signal is better and stays around 75-100 for longer and sometimes the signal just does not get above 50 and leaves me without internet for long periods. It does help to restart the router, but only for a few minutes.

Here 's some other interesting info :
-The same simcard in the original vodacom ZTE type router (very old) is extremely slow (between 0.05 to 0.2 Mbps up/down) but ALWAYS on.
-The same sim card in an old S5 mini is also not very fast (H+) (2 up and 4 down) but also ALWAYS on (used as hotspot)
-My normal Vodacom phone contract is always on 4G, very fast and never drops.
-Incidentally, I have a 2nd identical router on loan from the office for the lockdown period and this router acts exactly the same.
-I have tried all locations in the house (in Somerset West) with no luck. In fact , I have tested it in the office in Stellenbosch, with the same results.

Could there be a setting that could magically solve my problem ? Or could it be that the TP-Link just cannot interpret the Vodacom signal properly ? I don't know anything about these things.

Should I just exchange the router for something else (after lockdown) and take a pot luck ? Or is there actually a specific router that can work well with Vodacom ?

-I also have a RAIN simcard with the office router and although we are on the edge of the coverage map and the signal is hardly ever above 25%, mostly indicates 0% actually, it is extremely slow but always on.

Thank you in advance, for any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated !

Regards
Pierre Snyman

PCS8128

Hi rick9k, thanks for the response. Attached is a screenshot of the set up. At the moment it is on , as it is on 75%, but frequently goes off fr a few seconds.

I woke up about 4 times during the night and checked it every time and it was off each time. (Wifi ivon with ecclamation mark)

Attachments

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I wonder if changing your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 would solve the drops.

Also look for an auto time out setting, it might be the issue.

rick9k

Well the bands look good to me.
4G: FDD-LTE Cat4 (800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz), TDD-LTE (1900/2300/2500/2600MHz)

It get LTE so shouldn't be a profile issue.
My guess then is the TP link is just garbage, I know the one I bought was, some mifi device that couldn't handle tower switching properly and even the wifi was flakey when more than 1 client was on it.

PCS8128

Thanks rick9k

Ja, I'm just going to exchange it when the shop is open again.

Just FYI, the identical router with a Rain simcard is our internet connection in the office. Zero problems. Here at home I am on the edge of the rain coverage. The same router with the rain sim is very slow, but at least always on.