Vodacom & Dropped/Failed Calls

Chevauxza

Trying to figure out if this is anecdotal or if others are experiencing the same thing. Have you noticed an increase in failed calls on Vodacom over the last 6 to 12 months? There are two of us in the household, both on Vodacom and we frequently will be on the phone to someone and the call will go silent for a moment and then show call failed.

It doesn't seem to be specific to anything, regardless of who we're calling, where we are located etc, calls fail regularly. Anyone else with a similar experience on Voda?

I share the same sentiment with you. Vodacom service is so disappointing lately. Poor signal in most of the townships and rural areas and they don’t do anything about that. One will wonder is this network provider is still “SA best leading network?”

Reactions: SHL

Ivanr

Expert Member
I am of the opinion that this poor call quality etc. can attributed to the extensive use of VOIP instead of the old good solid copper Telkom lines.

1-Calls initiated from VC to VC are of good quality and connection EDIT: If not connected via VOIP.
2- Calls initiated from VC to other VOIP call exchanges tend have connection issues, thus not caused by VC but poor interconnect and low bandwidth - like this 087 and all Telkom numbers ported to these VOIP exchanges.

Think about poor interconnection as the root cause.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Proviso: If not connected via VOIP, only then all goes well without dropping calls and if both parties are in good Rx/Tx areas.

VOIP is enabled on phones, tho I have no idea how it works, just that it is no longer a joke, on iPhone 11's or Samsung Galaxy S10

Ivanr

Expert Member
VOIP is enabled on phones, tho I have no idea how it works, just that it is no longer a joke, on iPhone 11's or Samsung Galaxy S10
1)-Calls made making use of GSM protocol Radio Frequency to a tower then along a fibre/copper link to the tower connected GSM Frequency by the recipient of your call = Non Voice Over Internet Protocol VOIP. In good Rx/Tx areas no connection issues.

2)- Calls from your phone using VOIP = Data (Skype,WhatsApp and Signal etc) may and can have connectivity issues resulting in dropped calls.

3)- Many companies have ported their Telkom lines to VOIP in the cloud exchanges which your VC call GSM connects to VOIP often results in dropped lines due to poor connecting within the VOIP system with low bandwidth and rotten chopped tails in the audio frequency range.

Not just a VC problem only!!!!
This our final comment on this matter. We cannot carry on playing " ping pong" threading.

SHL

Trying to figure out if this is anecdotal or if others are experiencing the same thing. Have you noticed an increase in failed calls on Vodacom over the last 6 to 12 months? There are two of us in the household, both on Vodacom and we frequently will be on the phone to someone and the call will go silent for a moment and then show call failed.

It doesn't seem to be specific to anything, regardless of who we're calling, where we are located etc, calls fail regularly. Anyone else with a similar experience on Voda?
For me, their network quality/reception took a nose-dive since last year Nov. Decided not to renew my contract with them and switched to Mtn prepaid.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
1)-Calls made making use of GSM protocol Radio Frequency to a tower then along a fibre/copper link to the tower connected GSM Frequency by the recipient of your call = Non Voice Over Internet Protocol VOIP. In good Rx/Tx areas no connection issues.

2)- Calls from your phone using VOIP = Data (Skype,WhatsApp and Signal etc) may and can have connectivity issues resulting in dropped calls.

3)- Many companies have ported their Telkom lines to VOIP in the cloud exchanges which your VC call GSM connects to VOIP often results in dropped lines due to poor connecting within the VOIP system with low bandwidth and rotten chopped tails in the audio frequency range.

Not just a VC problem only!!!!
This our final comment on this matter. We cannot carry on playing " ping pong" threading.

These are not Skype or WhatsApp calls, at least on our side they are GSM.

But your point understood.

Thanks

Chevauxza

Thanks for all the feedback - glad to hear I'm not the only one. The types of calls I'm talking about were GSM to GSM calls, but I've also tried using VoWifi and have a similar experience. I know VoWifi could also be causing issues, but even when it's off calls are often dropped.

Will be looking in to MTN then for porting across!

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yeah, well, today the story has a new twist, voice calls, are buggered, you talk to someone, and their voice comes and goes - very useful Vodacom.

Chevauxza

So with some research on MTN, this is what I’d be losing by moving:

- No Wi-Fi calling for iPhones.
- No visual voicemail
- Can’t seem to find the equivalent “Pay once recurring” bundles on MTN. On VC I buy data at the beginning of the year which recharges automatically every month for 12 months.

Don’t have this on VC at the moment but also see that MTNs eSIM support *seems* to be limited to contract?