Vodacom Dual-sim capability

RuhanSA079

Good day fellow MyBBers...

My parents live on a plot just outside of town, and some Vodacom tower have degraded so badly in a year's time from fully functional to no connection at all, meaning they cannot make phone calls. I experienced this as well when I visited my parents. This happens very often. Sometimes they would have no connection for the next two days, and then BAM, it's working like it should. Complaining doesn't help at all...

Now, my father found out that MTN is very popular among the farmers in their area, better than Vodacom in terms of service and reception.

He phoned a Vodacom shop in their town, trying to find out if a dual sim setup is supported by Vodacom. Vodacom does the things by removing the dual-sim capability and all that jazz to keep their customers for themselves.

The lady at the shop told him that Vodacom "disables" the dual-sim capability in the handset if you insert a Vodacom sim in a Dual-sim smartphone. I find this statement a bit too far fetched.

I have a Xiaomi device that has Dual-sim, inserted both Vodacom and CellC sim, both works.

The reason for the dual sim is, keeping his Vodacom sim and number, getting an alternative number on MTN. Two seperate phones would not work at all. So IF Vodacom fails with service, then people still can call him on MTN.

My question is: Can he buy a Dual-sim capable device from Takealot (Samsung A50) and not worry that Vodacom will cause a racket over this?

Or, should he just move on to MTN with his existing number and leave Vodacom behind in the dust?

ronz91

Expert Member

My parents live on a plot just outside of town, and some Vodacom tower have degraded so badly in a year's time from fully functional to no connection at all, meaning they cannot make phone calls. I experienced this as well when I visited my parents. This happens very often. Sometimes they would have no connection for the next two days, and then BAM, it's working like it should. Complaining doesn't help at all...

Now, my father found out that MTN is very popular among the farmers in their area, better than Vodacom in terms of service and reception.

He phoned a Vodacom shop in their town, trying to find out if a dual sim setup is supported by Vodacom. Vodacom does the things by removing the dual-sim capability and all that jazz to keep their customers for themselves.

The lady at the shop told him that Vodacom "disables" the dual-sim capability in the handset if you insert a Vodacom sim in a Dual-sim smartphone. I find this statement a bit too far fetched.

I have a Xiaomi device that has Dual-sim, inserted both Vodacom and CellC sim, both works.

The reason for the dual sim is, keeping his Vodacom sim and number, getting an alternative number on MTN. Two seperate phones would not work at all. So IF Vodacom fails with service, then people still can call him on MTN.

My question is: Can he buy a Dual-sim capable device from Takealot (Samsung A50) and not worry that Vodacom will cause a racket over this?

Or, should he just move on to MTN with his existing number and leave Vodacom behind in the dust?
Get the dual SIM imo

FlashSA

Executive Member

Yes, he can buy any phone that states dual sim compatible and he can put his current sim in the phone and get an MTN sim for the second slot.

Vodacom only sell single sim phones. But a Vodacom sim card can work in any dual sim phone.

RuhanSA079

Yes, he can buy any phone that states dual sim compatible and he can put his current sim in the phone and get an MTN sim for the second slot.

Vodacom only sell single sim phones. But a Vodacom sim card can work in any dual sim phone.
Thanks. I will tell him.

Jola

Honorary Master
I use Vodacom and Cell C sims in the same dual sim phone (OnePlus 5) and it works just fine.

I can receive calls on either number.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
That woman at Vodacom has absolutely not clue what she is talking about, she probably thinks the sky is green and Zuma is a nice guy.

Anyway, Vodacom does disable duel sim, but only on devices they sell, they require the units shipped to them by the manufacture to disable the support in the software. It's a simple matter of flashing a custom rom in that case.

This is obviously not an issue in your case as the plan is to bug a new phoneits is probably possible, but also probably not legal for a provider to push software updates to a device that is not thiers. This does happen in China all the time though, like pop a Chinese sim in ur phone and its impossible to mute the camera, in fact it goes onto full volume when the camera is active. They have a pervert problem.

RuhanSA079

That woman at Vodacom has absolutely not clue what she is talking about, she probably thinks the sky is green and Zuma is a nice guy.

Anyway, Vodacom does disable duel sim, but only on devices they sell, they require the units shipped to them by the manufacture to disable the support in the software. It's a simple matter of flashing a custom rom in that case.

This is obviously not an issue in your case as the plan is to bug a new phoneits is probably possible, but also probably not legal for a provider to push software updates to a device that is not thiers. This does happen in China all the time though, like pop a Chinese sim in ur phone and its impossible to mute the camera, in fact it goes onto full volume when the camera is active. They have a pervert problem.
She just an employee, after all. I think they just tell what comes from above (her boss) to tell the customers.

She's actually very intelligent, matriculated a year or two before I matriculated. (Same high school). So no, not the type who thinks the sky is green...

She mentioned that my father can maybe try other service providers to see if they can help him with his requirements.

marioat1

Expert Member
She just an employee, after all. I think they just tell what comes from above (her boss) to tell the customers.

She's actually very intelligent, matriculated a year or two before I matriculated. (Same high school). So no, not the type who thinks the sky is green...

She mentioned that my father can maybe try other service providers to see if they can help him with his requirements.
She's not very tech savvy or else she's smoking whacky weed. No disrespect but to pass matric doesn't take much.

ALL Vodacon supplied phones are SINGLE SIM
Other stores that obtain their phones via VODACON are ALSO single SIM
I do believe that EmtiN are doing the same thing ?
THIS is a problem IF you obtain a phone via CONTRACT !

If you are able to purchase a phone cash or form another network provider you can choose to have a DUAL sim phone
ANY providers SIM should work in ANY phone -- single OR dual !
Just be aware that not ALL dual sim phones have LTE on BOTH sims
There are other things -- for example VOLTE ( Voice over LTE ) to be aware of

isie

Honorary Master

may not think the sky is green but believes a sim card can deactivate dual sim functionality even if boss told her that - not smart enough to think hey maybe not

?
any way a dual sim phone will work - just MTN and Vodacom do not sell (or disable the functionality) buy cash and make sure it isn't Vodacom or MTN stock from what i hear Telkom stock i think is fine.