Vodafone Wifi R216 on MTN(Afrihost)?

confuseddude

Hi need some newbie help here.

I got a Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi R216 device and trying to use it with a MTN sim card (using Afrihost). I completed all the steps I can think of ie changing to custom adding APN & cell number. It shows that everything is active and even has a few kb's passed up & down however whenever connecting to a device I get told no internet connection.

I've looked on here and else where but not seeing anything for this device model in question. Anyone have any ideas or should I just see this as network locked (haven't tried it on a vodacom sim since I don't have one or know someone who does.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Dan C

Honorary Master
Hi need some newbie help here.

I got a Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi R216 device and trying to use it with a MTN sim card (using Afrihost). I completed all the steps I can think of ie changing to custom adding APN & cell number. It shows that everything is active and even has a few kb's passed up & down however whenever connecting to a device I get told no internet connection.

I've looked on here and else where but not seeing anything for this device model in question. Anyone have any ideas or should I just see this as network locked (haven't tried it on a vodacom sim since I don't have one or know someone who does.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

What do you mean by adding the cell number. You just need to APN set to 'Afrihost'.
Try the sim in a phone and see if it works.

confuseddude

Security = auto
If auto isnot available try PAP

No option for auto so tried PAP and there was a bit of communication (kb on up and down link) however then stopped and same issue.

Not sure what to do at this point and Afrihost hasn't gotten back to me.

Any other ideas?

blueowl

Things I would try:

1) try another (known working) sim in this same mifi unit
2) reset this unit to factory settings, put this sim back in, and use afrihost as APN and *99# as the number to dial (try both PAP and CHAP)
3) apply a different firmware to this mifi unit

All at your own risk

confuseddude

Things I would try:

2) reset this unit to factory settings, put this sim back in, and use afrihost as APN and *99# as the number to dial (try both PAP and CHAP)

All at your own risk

Thanks, think I am at the point of doing a factory reset and going from there, trying to find someone with a Vodacom sim to see if that will work etc.

Thanks for the help.

confuseddude

Things I would try:

All at your own risk

Device reset did the trick!